Space will not show after chinese character

after upgrade to fedora 35, an annoying problem bothers me. I first find in gedit app when input some chinese character, then press space key,no space show, but the column number on the gedit status bar increase, once I switch to type english , the space will show normally.

at first, I think it may be gedit’s problem, however,after some trial, most gnome apps cannot show space after chinese character,like Calender, searchbox in overview, gnome web’s top seach box, etc. but firefox ,liberoffice,telegram,vscode… all work well

what may cause this problem?

Updates : because I was upgrade to 35 from 34, maybe something breaks in the process. So I just recently do a fresh install of fedora 35 in VirtualBox , and get below result:

if system default language set to chinese, everything is ok, the above phenomenon doesn’t happen,I can type space after chinese character in getdit app , serchbox in the overview and other offical gnome apps.

once I set system default language to english, this is my current config of my laptop, things get worse, I cannot type space after chinese character, space will not show, sometimes space will show but it will disappear if you continue to type chinese. it’s not only probelm of gedit ,many other apps also occurs this problem. the searchbox of most apps will come across this problem , like serchbox in the overview and setting, search box of Gpaste, searchbox of nautilus, seachbox of gnome web, searchbox of Geary mail , etc. in geary mail app, when write a mail, the To region and Subject region will not show space after chinese character, but the content region can input normally, in gnome calendar, I want to create a title for event ,space also will not show after chinese character. things get some different with the gnome todo app , I even cannot input chinese when create new task though there were many chinese tasks I create when my laptop is on fedora 34,certainly, there are apps that work well, like firefox, liberoffice, vscode ,telegram.

in one word, most problematic apps is gnome official, I am wondering what changes fedora 35 have in comparison of fedora 34, because I didn’t stuck on this problem when use fedora 34.

1 Like

You can provide them a feedback and bug report so they can fix this issue.
Thank you

per my update post, it’s not a problem of gedit, but a mater of gnome system, I cannot figure out what cause this .

How do you type chinese characters?

I record a short video, this is the link
I often use rime input method but in the video I use official intelligent pinyin, you can pay attention to the column number change in gedit status bar, other gnome apps will also demostrate same behavior,

You are using ibus-typing-booster. Issues · mike-fabian/ibus-typing-booster · GitHub could find the solution. He likes to know about problems with ITB
I agree this probably is a Gnome 41 bug, as it only affects Gnome apps. You could file a bug (issue) here GNOME / gnome-shell · GitLab . Gnome wants you to file a bug against an app.

this problem had been solved, related to pango and google-droid-sans-fonts, if you know chinese, you can read this issue, luckily this bug had fixed in pango 1.50.3 , just put this for an ending to this post

1 Like