Remote support tool in open source

Hi, what’s the open-source equivalent of TeamViewer for IT support?
Security objectives may not be achieved just by selecting a tool. It will be about the process, which is auditable and integrated with workflow.

Grateful if you can introduce your best practice in supporting business customers/high security (bank, public sector, education, and so on).

2 Likes

Students mostly just access remote servers over SSH where I work (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville – Computer Science). We do have one server set up to host graphical sessions over X2Go, but I don’t think it is used much.

For IT support, that’s just me and, likewise, I just use SSH. I don’t really do much support for the employees/professors though (the CS guys kind of like to run their own systems :slightly_smiling_face:).

1 Like

I use ssh and tmux, I ssh to people’s system and tmux to share a session to so that we both can see what the other is doing and work through the issue.

I will also use sos to help get an idea of a system before I access it just so I’m not completely blind going in.

1 Like

Sounds good. ssh and tmux seem ubiquitous in remote sessions. Can you share the links on sos?

I see two differing opinions between my support community and management about remote sessions;

1. Don’t force technology. Don’t ask too many questions beforehand.
    vs.
  2. Use the standard tool. Collect information (logs, environment) as much as possible to reproduce issues.
    What happened during the remote session.
1 Like

Here is some Red Hat documentation on SOS. I have used this helping friends and family when their systems have and issue. It give me some information that I can go through and get an Idea of the issue before I get on a terminal session.

2 Likes