Recordings now available for Nest with Fedora 2022!

Originally published at: Recordings now available for Nest with Fedora 2022! – Fedora Community Blog

I am excited to announce the recordings for Nest with Fedora 2022 are now available on the Fedora YouTube Channel. There are 51 videos to watch full of the latest from your Fedora Friends. Search for the one you want or watch the whole playlist!

This year’s Nest with Fedora was yet another great virtual event success for our community. The event attracted 1000+ registrations with a 75% turnout. The current average turnout for virtual events is around 40-50% so the turnout at Nest is an achievement and testament to folks’ engagement with the Fedora community. Although we didn’t double our numbers over the 2021 event (like we did 2021 over 2020), we still showed growth in a time where people’s virtual fatigue is at an all time high. I think we can call that a triumph!

Sponsors, media partners, and socials

This year at Nest with Fedora we had seven sponsors and four media partners. Our sponsors were Red Hat, Lenovo, AlmaLinux, openSUSE, Gitlab, Datto, and Das Keyboard. Our media partners were GNOME, KDE, Opensource.com, and TuxDigital. Sending another big round of thanks to all of our sponsors and media partners who helped make Nest a success.

We continued to use the WorkAdventure platform to host our custom Fedora Museum. We also had a Fedora Minecraft instance, thanks to Dan Čermák. I hosted the classic Pictionary social and brought back the group photo session for 2022. And last — but certainly not least — the wonderful Aoife Moloney and I hosted the favorite pub quiz social.

What we learned about our attendees and their experience

Overall the event had a satisfaction rating of 8.9/10. The informal polls from Nest with Fedora 2022 showed some interesting (approximate) data, including:

• 65% of attendees have been to more Nests than Flocks
  • 40% of attendees were first time Nesters
  • 40% of attendees were brought to open source by curiosity/excitement
  • 36% of attendees prefer to use Element/Matrix as their chat platform
  • 20% of attendees are non-coders

We also asked why people chose to attend Nest with Fedora 2022, and found out that:

• 50% of attendees came to build knowledge
  • 17% of attendees came to hang out with friends
  • 17% of attendees came to learn how to get involved
  • 6% of attendees came for networking opportunities
  • 5% of attendees came for the speaker lineup
  • 5% of attendees came for “other”

What’s happening in 2023?

Looking forward to 2023, it’s undecided whether or not we will Flock or Nest with Fedora. Virtual events have been a huge success for Fedora, connecting more people than ever with the contributors at the core of our community. I’ve heard many stories from folks saying “I wanted to get more involved because of Nest/Release Parties/Socials”, so I think some of that is here to stay.

On the other hand, a lot of folks miss seeing their Fedora Friends in person, and there is something much different about being face to face. Flock brings people together in a unique way: creating opportunities for development of strategy, excitement about collaboration, and adventures with Friends. Look forward to an update on how our next contributor conference will be formatted in the first couple of months of 2023.

In conclusion

This was my last Nest with Fedora as the Fedora Community Action and Impact Coordinator (FCAIC), and I couldn’t be happier about its success. It’s bittersweet for me to be moving on but I’m so very proud of the work I’ve done to connect and support our community during the last three years. I plan to be at the next Flock/Nest, if possible, to be with the wonderful Friends I’ve made before and during my time as FCAIC. And of course, to continue working on Badges and Design!

On a final note: I hope you enjoy the Nest videos and share them with your friends, colleagues, and related communities. Welcome to all the newcomers and a big thank you to everyone who presented and participated at Nest with Fedora 2022. Cheers!

2 Likes

When I look there are “only” 50 available videos in the playlist. One is unavailable. Is that a mistake, or was there a last minute change?

One video got uploaded incorrectly, so it had to be deleted. There should be 51 videos available again now.