Problem with official repos

its a few weeks now that i finally decided to report this cause im totally confused. im not sure its the right place to report this but even helping about that is welcome.
its a few weeks now that i cant update the list of packages using dnf, its only affecting official fedora repos then give me this error ten times

Curl error (7): Couldn't connect to server for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-release

then

Error checking if metalink "https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f39&arch=x86_64" is in sync for repository "updates"
 Librepo error: Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: Curl error (7): Couldn't connect to server for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f39&arch=x86_64 [Failed to connect to mirrors.fedoraproject.org port 443 after 2288 ms: Couldn't connect to server

so it cannot make a tcp connection to port 443 at all, while connecting to a vpn fix that.
i even tried from my another internet connection but it seems like nothing can connect to this port.
i came to say that maybe fedora itself blocked ips of my country from connecting,
i live in iran btw.
also i tried to open a connection to port 443 with nc:

nc -v mirrors.fedoraproject.org 443

but gave me connection refused:

Ncat: Version 7.93 ( https://nmap.org/ncat )
Ncat: Connection to 140.211.169.196 failed: Connection refused.
Ncat: Trying next address...
Ncat: Connection to 152.19.134.142 failed: Connection refused.
Ncat: Connection to 8.43.85.67 failed: Connection refused.
Ncat: Connection to 34.221.3.152 failed: Connection refused.
Ncat: Connection to 152.19.134.198 failed: Connection refused.
Ncat: Connection to 67.219.144.68 failed: Connection refused.
Ncat: Connection to 38.145.60.21 failed: Connection refused.
Ncat: Connection to 38.145.60.20 failed: Connection refused.
Ncat: Connection to 8.43.85.73 failed: Connection refused.
Ncat: Connection to 2605:bc80:3010:600:dead:beef:cafe:fed9 failed: Network is unreachable.
Ncat: Connection to 2600:2701:4000:5211:dead:beef:fe:fed3 failed: Network is unreachable.
Ncat: Connection to 2620:52:3:1:dead:beef:cafe:fed7 failed: Network is unreachable.
Ncat: Connection to 2604:1580:fe00:0:dead:beef:cafe:fed1 failed: Network is unreachable.
Ncat: Connection to 2600:1f14:fad:5c02:7c8a:72d0:1c58:c189 failed: Network is unreachable.
Ncat: Network is unreachable.

That is quite possible: Fedora Legal Resources :: Fedora Docs

I doubt there is anything that Fedora would be allowed to do to help you in your situation. Sorry. :slightly_frowning_face:

Probably not fedora, but easily could be your own country blocking it. There are some who censor what their residents may do on the internet.

Citing @mattdm

1 Like

@mattdm
so a single country named US can say no to a software that is developed and contributed everywhere in the world and force this policy to you? i dont think you can call this or any other foss project “free” when you are not free to provide access of it to any other possible citizens of coutries that may contributed to them.

i also tested using traceroute in tcp mode in same port and it basically passed the borders, no problem there

Ok,
The legal export restrictions also have a say in what may be allowed.

One potential workaround may be to download what you wish from a repo in a different country or to perform the download from a location in a different country. VPN?

The internet is after all worldwide.

Is there not another way via ,proxy, Tor or vpn access for you to connect through?

2 Likes

I guess you may switch to a mirror in other countries. A list is available through Home - MirrorManager

@computersavvy @hamrheadcorvette @rocketsam
thanks for your will of support and help, but my point of this question was to inform them to lift the restrictions made by fedora. i have a solution and a vpn works but thats not the point.
i hope someday foss community will be truly free

1 Like

The foss community is truly free. Unfortunately governmental regulations affect us all in sometimes undesirable and/or unanticipated ways.

While technically Fedora “made” (implemented) those restrictions, they were made (legally put in place) by the US government. And while we are an international community which is certainly not bound by US law, the legal entity behind Fedora is located in the US and consequently bound by local laws there.

Please note that I’m neither arguing for those legal requirements nor for their implementation. But I do understand and wanted to point out in which sense “we” (Fedora legal entity) are bound by US law and in which sense we are not.

Now, I sometimes wish we found ways to handle these consequences differently, for example in terms of communication and project participation. “Non-proliferation” will forbid the download offerings, of course, but there are world-wide mirrors which do not block by a US block list, and maybe we could make it easier to switch to a different mirrorlist.

1 Like

I think that these restrictions are unfortunate. In an ideal world we wouldn’t have to think about these things, but sadly…

However I fear that such suggestions are somewhat borderline with some policy or regulations…