Package : compat-libcap1 : missing?

I am following the instructions at ORACLE-BASE - Oracle Database 18c Installation On Fedora 28 (F28) with the intent of working with the Oracle Database 18c XE.

When I get to the part where I have to install “compat-libcap1” using “dnf install -y compat-libcap1” as mentioned on that webpage, the installation fails mentioning that package is missing.

Looks like it was available under previous releases of Fedora but got dropped out of 31.
Any particular reason why?
And, is it possible to get it in any way?

Thank you.

Try this, sir:

Oracle-Base: Oracle Database 18c Installation On Fedora 31 (F31).

Search query was: oracle db install on Fedora 31. Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Somehow you failed to notice that I have mentioned that exact link in my first post regarding which steps I have already taken to get Oracle Database 18c XE installed on my Fedora 31 installation.

Your: “https://oracle-base.com/articles/18c/oracle-db-18c-installation-on-fedora-28
Mine: “https://oracle-base.com/articles/18c/oracle-db-18c-installation-on-fedora-31

Or the contents is the same?

<!-- PS: without a constructs like below the links were broken -->
<a href="address">blah-</a><b><em>28</em></b>
<a href="address">blah-</a><b><em>31</em></b>
2 Likes

True indeed, your link was different, I just missed noticing that change of version.

My apologies for being so obtuse.
And thanks a million. :slightly_smiling_face:

No use. That F31 oriented article asks us to ignore that compat-libcap1 installation failure issue, but even after following all the instructions to the “T”, the installation of “18c XE” fails due to unavailability of the above library package.

Even now, when I get to the part where I have to install “compat-libcap1” using “dnf install -y compat-libcap1” as mentioned on that webpage, the installation fails mentioning that package is missing. Any alternative options for installing that package would be most welcome.

LOL:

Q: Is Fedora a supported distribution?
A: No! You should never consider installing Oracle products on Fedora for anything real!

A: No. Fedora was my desktop OS for many years too, but IMHO a better option is to install Oracle VirtualBox on your machine, define a virtual machine (VM) and install Oracle Linux on the VM. You can then install Oracle products on top of that OS.

Hope this helps. Regards Tim…”

But of course there is should be a way, logically.

According to this Wikipedia article, the Oracle Database is a proprietary software. Maybe it is in the RPM-Fusion or a such?

Link from oracle-base.com to docs.oracle.com:
Oracle Database: Install and upgrade (Press “View” and chose Linux).

There is 18c:
(There is instructions for manual installation in RHEL, which is Fedora’s relative distro
copy the link below and change 18 to 19 for a newer version)

1 Like

The package is not in Fedora. The current version of libcap in Fedora is: 2.26:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/libcap

This is another one of those cases where Oracle uses an old, perhaps obsolete library. The only way to use it is to use their ecosystem. As @vits95 suggests, using Oracle Linux would, unfortunately, be the least painful way forward here.