Okular Save As... Broken

I just upgraded my system from F33 to F34, and suddenly I can’t save files open in okular using “Save As…” After clicking Save As…, nothing happens. I click to close the application, and I get the dialog asking to confirm if I want to close the application and wait longer. If I click “wait longer” the Save As… dialog opens.

Related info: I’m using KDE and X11 (not Wayland)

Where is okular hanging?

I can’t replicate that. For me, Save As opens nearly instantly.

Have you tried running it from the terminal to see if any output is displayed in the terminal when Save As fails?

1 Like

Hi,

I just try to install okular on Gnome and login using Gnome X11 session. When I click “Save As”, the dialog box opened on the background and not on the top of Okular main window. Maybe it also happen to you. You could check by not open Okular on the full screen window and let it on floating window state then click “Save As” and find in the background may be the dialog box opened there.

You could also try to reinstall it since Okular is an app for opening documents, it should be safe $ sudo dnf reinstall okular.

I just tried this again, and it does indeed look like it has to do with the focus.

When executing okular from the command line, There’s quite a bit of output:

kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/filenamesearch.so" "Fa
iled to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/filenamesearch.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/sieve.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib
64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/sieve.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/thumbnail.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr
/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/thumbnail.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/mtp.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib64
/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/mtp.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/about.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib
64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/about.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/nfs.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib64
/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/nfs.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/videodvd.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/
lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/videodvd.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/pop3.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/pop3.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/akonadi.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/l
ib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/akonadi.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/filter.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/li
b64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/filter.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/sftp.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/sftp.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/info.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/info.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/ldap.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/ldap.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/bookmarks.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr
/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/bookmarks.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/activities.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/us
r/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/activities.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/network.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/l
ib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/network.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/fish.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/fish.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/l
ib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/recentdocuments.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from
'/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/recentdocuments.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/settings.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/
lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/settings.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/
usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/man.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib64
/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/man.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/filenamesearch.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from
'/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/filenamesearch.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/sieve.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib
64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/sieve.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/thumbnail.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr
/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/thumbnail.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/mtp.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib64
/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/mtp.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/about.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib
64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/about.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/nfs.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib64
/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/nfs.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/videodvd.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/
lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/videodvd.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/pop3.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/pop3.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/akonadi.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/l
ib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/akonadi.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/filter.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/li
b64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/filter.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/sftp.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/sftp.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/info.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/info.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/ldap.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/ldap.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/bookmarks.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr
/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/bookmarks.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/activities.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/us
r/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/activities.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/network.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/l
ib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/network.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/fish.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib6
4/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/fish.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/l
ib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/recentdocuments.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from
'/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/recentdocuments.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/settings.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/
lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/settings.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/
usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/man.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib64
/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/man.so'"
kf.dbusaddons: 'kdeinit5' is taking more than 30 seconds to start.

I just upgraded to the new kernel, and now the save as… dialog appears. WTF? But all of that hideous output at the terminal remains.

Anyhow, it looks the upgrade didn’t go smoothly, because with this reboot, I see that my desktop session isn’t being restored, despite the “restore desktop session at login” being checked.

Error Reported on Terminal

If we see on the error reported on the terminal, all related to kio. From KDE documentation about kio is “Network transparent access to files and data”. My understanding it related to file access. Each time any of app on KDE accessing/browsing file, it will use kio. You could try to open Dolphin by typing it on terminal $ dolphin and you’ll get same error result. Or you could also open Kwrite on terminal and then on the menu click “File > Open” and you’ll get the same result.

I manage to solve this error by reinstalling everything related to kio with $ sudo dnf reinstall *kio* (It will install some files) and most the error messages are gone.

Failed to Restore Desktop Session

For KDE failed to restore the session, may be you could reset the setting to “Default/Reset” by open “System Setting > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session” then click “Default/Reset” button on the middle lower of the window.

If this doesn’t work, you could try to run $ sudo dnf distro-sync. From Fedora documentation it said:

… If your system is partly upgraded or you see some package dependency issues, try running another distro-sync manually to see if this fixes the problem. …

1 Like

Hey, thanks for that.

You’re right about the kio messages, however reinstalling *kio* didn’t resolve the text output, but that’s a minor, secondary issue. The “Save As…” dialog is now working. And your tip to reset the session to the default setting also worked. Thanks!

I’ll mark this as solved.