Normal.mod not found on new installation

I am attempting to install Fedora Server 39 in VirtualBox on Windows 10. I’m able to install it, but upon boot, I get an error:

GRUB loading...
Welcome to GRUB!

error: ../../grub-core/fs/fshelp.c:257:file `/grub2/i386-pc/normal.mod` not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

Can you please let me know what I need to adjust? The steps I did were:

• downloaded Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-39-1.5.iso
  • in VirtualBox, added new a Virtual Machine with this iso, and checked “Skip Unattended Installation”. I left all other options as defaults.
  • in the Fedora installation, I accepted the Automatic Partitioning and added a user. I left all other options as defaults.

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

It seams to be a problem in between legacy and EFI boot. Have a look to this article in Arch linux:
[SOLVED] Grub error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums

The “i386-pc” in the error indicates that a non-UEFI version of GRUB is attempting to boot. Is UEFI mode enabled and non-UEFI (CSM or “Legacy”) mode disabled in the firmware (“BIOS”) options?
Are you sure the Arch ISO was booted in UEFI mode when you ran those commands? How did you check? Were there any error messages after running them?

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for your help. I got it to work by:

• creating a new VM with “Enable EFI” selected
  • installing Fedora from the ISO

Thanks again for your quick response and assistance.