So, I decided to test out Fedora Workstation 35 on GNOME instead of my usual choice of Cinnamon, as I needed Wayland due to some issues I had with X11. Unfortunately, it has been giving me multiple issues of its own that are making the experience very frustration. They are far too many for me to make individual threads for, so I figured it may be better to group all of them together:
» Kernel Core Crash - Every time I log in, I get bombarded with dozens of error messages about how kernel-core has encountered a serious error and crashed. There are no error logs.
» Screen Freezing - Every once in a while, with reliable frequency, my desktop display completely hangs/freezes for about two-three seconds before resuming. Interestingly, it’s just the display rather than the apps themselves - for example, if I’m watching a video, and my display freezes while I’m on the 2:35 mark, the video’s audio continues playing normally despite nothing responding, and when it unfreezes, it’s already at the 2:37 mark.
» Glued Cursor - Often, if my mouse cursor touches the lower left border of my screen, it “glues” there for a while and can only move up and down until I move it to the upper left border.
» Buggy Qt Apps - Qt apps are extremely buggy in GNOME, often having incredibly laggy response times compared to GTK apps, and refusing to follow my system theme and only using Adwaita-light, even when I’m using Adwaita-dark. Setting my system to use a custom dark GTK theme (Canta-dark) made them finally use Adwaita-dark, but because it’s not using Canta, it’s still not integrating. None of these issues occurred on Cinnamon and Xfce, as Qt apps followed my GTK theme and integrated well. Simply not using Qt apps is not an option, as I have a handful of apps I need that have no other alternatives and are only available in Qt.
I use extensions on my desktop, but all of those issues were present even on a fresh Fedora Workstation installation - I went as far as to try reinstalling to see if those issues went away, to no avail - so I can attest they are not caused by extensions or themes. Please do not judge me for using them, I much prefer a traditional desktop experience a-la Cinnamon and would continue using it if not for the issues I had with Muffin and Xorg.
Here are my computer specs, if it helps any:
- CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
- GPU - AMD Radeon RX 570 4 GB
- RAM - 16 GB (1 x 16)
- Motherboard - Asus B450M-Gaming
And the output of
System: Kernel: 5.17.4-200.fc35.x86_64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 2.37-10.fc35 Desktop: GNOME v: 41.4 Distro: Fedora release 35 (Thirty Five) Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B450M-GAMING/BR v: Rev X.0x serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3202 date: 06/15/2021 CPU: Info: 6-core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2 rev: 0 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 3 MiB L3: 32 MiB Speed (MHz): avg: 3954 high: 3981 min/max: 2200/3950 boost: enabled cores: 1: 3948 2: 3949 3: 3950 4: 3950 5: 3950 6: 3966 7: 3949 8: 3950 9: 3947 10: 3975 11: 3943 12: 3981 bogomips: 94803 Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm Graphics: Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] vendor: Tul / PowerColor driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus-ID: 08:00.0 Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 188.8.131.52 with: Xwayland v: 21.1.4 compositor: gnome-shell driver: gpu: amdgpu resolution: 1920x1080~75Hz OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.44.0 5.17.4-200.fc35.x86_64 LLVM 13.0.0) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.3.8 direct render: Yes Audio: Device-1: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] vendor: Tul / PowerColor driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 08:00.1 Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 0a:00.4 Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.17.4-200.fc35.x86_64 running: yes Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.50 running: yes Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK PRIME B450M-A driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 bus-ID: 07:00.0 IF: enp7s0 state: down mac: <filter> Device-2: TP-Link Archer T2U PLUS [RTL8821AU] type: USB driver: rtl88XXau bus-ID: 1-2:2 IF: wlp1s0f0u2 state: up mac: <filter> Drives: Local Storage: total: 4.08 TiB used: 568.91 GiB (13.6%) ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: SA400S37480G size: 447.13 GiB ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST4000DM004-2CV104 size: 3.64 TiB Partition: ID-1: / size: 445.54 GiB used: 6.28 GiB (1.4%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda3 ID-2: /boot size: 973.4 MiB used: 224.2 MiB (23.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 ID-3: /boot/efi size: 598.8 MiB used: 13.9 MiB (2.3%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1 ID-4: /home size: 445.54 GiB used: 6.28 GiB (1.4%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda3 Swap: ID-1: swap-1 type: zram size: 8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/zram0 Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: N/A mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 44.0 C Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 1027 Info: Processes: 362 Uptime: 2h 48m Memory: 15.6 GiB used: 4.66 GiB (29.8%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.3.1 Packages: 8 note: see --pkg Shell: Bash v: 5.1.8 inxi: 3.3.14