Loading libvirt causes hard reset after ~60 seconds

I recently installed Fedora Workstation 38 (and upgraded to 39 beta to confirm 38 wasnt the issue). Loading libvirtd, either through virt-manager or systemd, causes the system to hard reset after 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I don’t have any VMs running, and disabling hardware virtualisation doesn’t affect anything. Forcing a kernel panic seems to keep the system up for a short time (and with kernel dumps enabled, seemingly hangs indefinitely), whereas this is as if the power briefly cut out or someone pressed the hardware reset button.

I’m reasonably confident it’s not a hardware issue because I don’t see the same issue on the fedora live usb. I’ve installed all system, firmware and UEFI updates to rule those out, and I’ve not had any success with trying to record dmesg or journald.

Is this a known issue? I can’t find any posts about this but I’m also not totally sure what’s going on. Any ideas?

System specs:
CPU: 5950x
Motherboard: Msi MAG B550
RAM: 4x32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

Welcome to Fedora @0xada,

Did you try to start in to the rescue kernel and install an LTS kernel, to see if this works?

LTS kernel you find here:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/kwizart/kernel-longterm-6.1/

If this works, you can better debug your system to see what is wrong. You will have more than 60 Seconds to debug it.

Verify the firmware version matches the latest one from the manufacturer site.
Try running with a single RAM plank and using different planks in different slots.

I’ve tried the LTS kernel (6.1.59-200) and I still get the same issue. My main kernel version is 6.5.6-300, whereas the live cd (which works) is 6.5.2-301, I’m unsure how happy dnf would be with me, but if it’ll let me, I might try downgrading the kernel to the same version as the live cd to see if that makes a difference.

As @vgaetera said, do not ignore the possible hardware problems and a outdated bios.

Have you tried dmesg > dmesg.txt or journalctl -b > journald.txt to capture the output to files?

I tried various RAM configurations (different amounts and order of ram sticks), XMP on and off) and updated firmware, same issue. I wasn’t able to get anything from the moment of the crash with dmesg or journald, even with writing them to a file, journald did complain about a corrupt journal on the next boot, but as far as I could tell it was being overwritten automatically and everything in those files was from libvirt starting, not from it crashing.

I managed to fix the issue by reinstalling Fedora, I’m not sure what changed, I installed it in the same way from the same media to the same disks on the same computer, but this time libvirt works fine with no crashes. I am a little suspicious of hardware issues, and when I have a day to spare I’ll try to get a full memtest run to completely rule out RAM, but I think it was just an issue with the installation.

1 Like