Kinoite, a KDE (and now XFCE) version of Fedora Silverblue

This could be a bug in rpm-ostree. Could you report that upstream Issues · coreos/rpm-ostree · GitHub? Thanks!

2 Likes

Fedora Kinoite is now available in the official mirror for the Rawhide branch! :tada:

Please move all new discussions related to Fedora Kinoite only to the new Kinoite category in the forum!

As I will now focus a lot more on fixing Fedora Kinoite specific issues, I will stop building unofficial Rawhide branches soon. I will keep building stable & branched versions for the other variants but can not promise doing that longer than one or two release cycles.

Feel free to reach out if you’re interested in taking over or maintaining a specific variant.

Thanks for the support and testing during all those years!

4 Likes

What kind of details I should collect and post?

What you’ve posted here plus the list of ostree remotes you have should be a good starting point. We will ask for more in the ticket if needed.

1 Like

https://github.com/coreos/rpm-ostree/issues/2850

This has been fixed. Don’t forget to remove that override now or you will keep using this package forever:

$ sudo rpm-ostree override reset podman podman-plugins
1 Like

As I previously mentioned, the Rawhide builds from today are the last ones I will be doing.

I will try to keep building branched versions and other variants at least until F35 is released but can not guarantee I’ll keep building them beyond that.

Several sub-project have been started to pick up maintenance of other variants. Please support them if you wish for your preferred DE to be made an official variant!

I’ll be switching most of my focus on improving Fedora Kinoite.

2 Likes

I just hope it keeps the base, the rest is superficial right now

Hi there @siosm

I’m on F34 Silverblue and want to test Kinoite.

Your message above leaves me a little confused.

The instructions here to install and test kinoite reference Rawhide. But your message above indicates this is no longer maintained.

Is there an active and supported way to test Kinoite?

Hello @ramblurr ,
I think @siosm was referring to the fact that Kionite has become an official spin, so he will not be able to focus on the other variants (like XFCE for instance) after F35.

2 Likes

This message was about unofficial builds: I’m not longer building unofficial variants for the Rawhide branch. I’m still building unofficial stable variants (F34 right now) and will keep building them for a while.

If you want to test Fedora Kinoite, you can try the official Rawhide builds from Fedora (How to test Fedora Kinoite (official builds only)), or the unofficial stable builds for F34 from me (Current status of Fedora Kinoite (official & unofficial builds)).

3 Likes

Yep,
I have started first to find a suitable name within the community. The result will be posted today or tomorrow.
Next step has then to follow.

Personally, I expect other spins on F36 or later.

v/r
Andi

Hello, how are you community? A question for lovers of wm like sway or i3. I want to create an iso based on silverblue but without gnome only with sway. Right now I have sway installed but I want to remove everything from gnome and generate an iso that you recommend? it’s possible? I like the initiative to put a lot of flavors in silverblue but I feel like they forget about those of us who love tiled windows. I would like the community to have a minimal iso for those who want a simple environment like a wm. I read recommendations or suggestions

2 Likes

You can start reading Kinoite, a KDE (and now XFCE) version of Fedora Silverblue - #213 by stbischof and my reply right after. Feel free to ask questions here if you need help to get started.

1 Like

There will also be talks related to this topic at Nest on Friday August 6th:

• A talk about Kinoite and what’s coming next
  • A talk with @andilinux about rpm-ostree based Desktop Spins and how to make one
2 Likes

Hi I have waited until FD35 Kinoite officially released to have another try and I still get the same concern after install there are no menu entries or icons.Video of first boot after install

Just wondering if there is a fixed for this.

@siosm - I think there is a problem with the Kinoite F35 ISO. Specifically when installed with the option English → English (United Kingdom) option in Anaconda.

This is how it is showing up. Using the same ISO, installing as English (United States) does not produce this error and looks/works fine. I have not tested other languages. I used the ISO distributed on the Download Fedora Kinoite site, and the sha256 checksum was verified.

This has also been corroborated by this Reddit post.

EDIT 1 (Nov 3 19:48 UTC): This is odd. Subsequent attempts to reproduce this are not working. I can’t work out how/why it happened. For now, I retract my guess that it’s the UK option that is triggering the error.

EDIT 2 (Nov 3 20:32 UTC): I can validate now that this is 100% reproducible if the Time & Date in Anaconda is selected to be Europe/London. Keyboard and Language options do not affect it; just the Time & Date.

EDIT 3 (Nov 3 20:59 UTC): Spot checking Tokyo (UTC +9) and Helsinki (UTC +2) time zones do not replicate this error. Selecting Europe/Lisbon (UTC) does replicate this error. So it seems to be specific to the UTC time zone. Also tested Silverblue 35 install; that does not seem to be affected, so for now it seems isolated to Kinoite.

Temporary workaround for anyone affected would be to install Kinoite by selecting any time zone other than UTC, and changing it back after installation is complete and you log into KDE the first time.

2 Likes

Can confirm that the workaround works perfectly - thank you for taking the time to debug this!

Edit: it may be blindingly obvious in hindsight, but if you layer any packages using rpm-ostree, change the system time away from UTC before doing so, and through the subsequent reboot. I just ended up back at square one after doing this and had to do a

timedatectl set-timezone America/New_York

And then change it back to GMT after restart to make everything work as expected. As per the original workaround, if you set your timezone properly before layering, you can set it back to normal after the reboot with no hassle.

3 Likes

Hi - I can also confirm that this work around works.

Thanks

Well it work until I changed the timezone back to London and has now reverted back to the former concern

1 Like