Issues with some graphical apps in F33 containers (toolbox)

I have rebased to fedora 33 on silverblue. And gotta love that since you can just rollback if needed!

I notice that I have issues with at least a couple of graphical apps running in an F33 toolbox. These apps run fine in the F33 toolbox when booting to F32. Im not too sure if this is a feature or bug.

If I enter the F33 toolbox and run for example google-chrome-unstable from google repo as well as chromium from fedora repo, I get an error message that it cannot connect to X server. (Wasn’t google-chrome runing wayland?)

Another problem is Anki (qt). This one complains about wayland plugin missing and also won’t start.

I did run meld(gtk) successfully however.

I haven’t posted detailed error mesages here. I’m wondering if there is something new in podman or container configuration or something in selinux that I need to figure out here. Otherwise at this stage I can boot easily to F32 where the same containerized(toolbox) F33 apps work fine.

1 Like

I have a similar issue with a java app that says

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unable to open DISPLAY
	at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$new$6(GtkApplication.java:173)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.<init>(GtkApplication.java:171)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkPlatformFactory.createApplication(GtkPlatformFactory.java:41)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.Application.run(Application.java:144)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.startup(QuantumToolkit.java:258)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(PlatformImpl.java:269)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(PlatformImpl.java:158)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.startToolkit(LauncherImpl.java:658)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:678)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$2(LauncherImpl.java:195)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

Note that I am using the same f32 container in which it used to run. On a new f33 container it does not work either.

I’m seeing this too. It was working in 33.20200914.n.0, but isn’t working in 33.20200920.n.0.

$ toolbox --version
toolbox version 0.0.95

$ podman --version
podman version 2.1.0-dev

I think it’s related to the podman version. I remember using that toolbox version before — but podman’s 2.1.0-dev probably broke this.

Yet again, the toolbox+podman combo breaks in Silverblue. We need tests (that include launching a graphical app, apparently) that block Silverblue releases.

Note: Yes, F33 is not a release (yet), but I thought we were in the stabilization phase of Fedora 33 beta, not a development version? Did the dev version of podman accidentally slip in again?

Filed a bug @ X11 applications no longer work with GNOME 3.38 · Issue #562 · containers/toolbox · GitHub hopefully this is fixed soon.

1 Like

I did a bit more debugging: X11 applications no longer work with GNOME 3.38 · Issue #562 · containers/toolbox · GitHub

Rolling back to 33.20200913.n.0 (because I forgot to pin 33.20200914.n.0 and can no longer resolve deps on it without replacing base packages) and looking at the toolbox and podman versions shows that they’re the same as what’s in the latest Silverblue composes of the Fedora 33 beta.

In other words, it looks like there might be an X and/or Wayland issue?

So i had created a toolbox with 33.20200914.n.0 and entered it this morning with 33.20200918.n.0. I installed gedit to see if a graphical app would run in it. The installation went okay, but it is pulling (this version of toolbox) from the rawhide repos as well as the FC33 repos, interesting. Gpg keys were invalid so --nogpg was needed. The installation finished successfully and I was able to run gedit without an error. Is there another app I can try to test for your issue since I have this toolbox running now?

Yeah, there doesn’t seem to a a problem with wayland gtk+3 apps. Try anything else. gvim chromium, qutebrowser or anything not gtk+3 (wayland)

But see also @garrett’s bug report X11 applications no longer work with GNOME 3.38 · Issue #562 · containers/toolbox · GitHub

I’m sure the fix is on the horizon!

Okay so I got the qutebrowser to work by installing the qt5-qtwayland.x86_64 plugin as well. I made a comment on the issue ticket mentioned. Gvim won’t work though.

1 Like

such an option?
sorry in advance, recently in fedora silverblue,
maybe I misunderstood something…

sudo dnf install libcanberra.x86_64 libcanberra-gtk3.x86_64 vim-X11.x86_64 -y