Is there a simple way to add spellchecking, hyphenation, and other language support without hunting for specific packages?

I typically use other languages besides English. As I am coming from Debian, I am accustomed to install packages which enable spellchecking for a language in one run by installing relevant meta-packages, e.g. apt install task-ukrainian task-ukrainian-desktop, saving me time on choosing the packages and maintaining. Can I have a similarly easy way to manage language support packages in Fedora? If not, where can I find out whether they are planned for future development or considered out of the project scope for some reason? Where should I voice my request for such feature if it not available?

While there may be alternatives and some applications may resort to using their own dictionaries, generally, if you look for language dictionaries, you can check for available “hunspell” packages.

Applications I know using it (through personal experience) are:

• GNOME Evolution
  • Inkscape
  • LibreOffice

… and likely many more.

To see what is available, run:
sudo dnf list "hunspell-*"

This will give you a list of packages, installed and available. If you are not sure, that the language code is the correct one, you can run:
sudo dnf info <package_name(s)_or_wildcard>

To follow your example for the Ukrainian language, you would use:
sudo dnf info hunspell-uk

The resulting output (as of this writing) would be:

Last metadata expiration check: 0:04:49 ago on Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:37:56 AM CEST.
Available Packages
Name         : hunspell-uk
Version      : 1.8.0
Release      : 7.fc34
Architecture : noarch
Size         : 454 k
Source       : hunspell-uk-1.8.0-7.fc34.src.rpm
Repository   : fedora
Summary      : Ukrainian hunspell dictionaries
URL          : http://sourceforge.net/projects/ispell-uk
License      : GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+ or MPLv1.1
Description  : Ukrainian hunspell dictionaries.

You would then use the following to install it:
sudo dnf install hunspell-uk

… or more explicit
sudo dnf install hunspell-uk.noarch

Essentially, all you need to remember is hunspell-<language_code> and you are good to go installing it (as long as it is available, that is).

2 Likes

I think you should be able to take advantage of the langpack meta packages:

sudo dnf list langpacks-*

So, for es, for example, sudo dnf install langpacks-es should install lots of packages for es support.

From the looks of it, it essentially installs hunspell and a few other packages, with some fonts etc. but yeh, if the application you’re using doesn’t use hunspell, you’ll have to install the appropriate language library. These are the ones I know of:

3 Likes