I don't know anything about computers but can you help me?

Hello, I need your help. :sweat_smile::face_holding_back_tears:

Last login: Mon Feb 12 13:41:45 on ttys000
kinkazma@MacBook-Pro-3 ~ % tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
Snapshots for disk /:
kinkazma@MacBook-Pro-3 ~ % tmutil listbackups
No machine directory found for host.
kinkazma@MacBook-Pro-3 ~ % curl https://alx.sh | sh
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  1808  100  1808    0     0  15326      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 15452

Bootstrapping installer:
  Checking version...
  Version: v0.7.1
  Downloading...
  Extracting...
  Initializing...

The installer needs to run as root.
Please enter your sudo password if prompted.
Password:

Welcome to the Asahi Linux installer!

This installer will guide you through the process of setting up
Asahi Linux on your Mac.

Please make sure you are familiar with our documentation at:
  https://alx.sh/w

Press enter to continue.

Collecting system information...
  Product name: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
  SoC: Apple M1 Max
  Device class: j316cap
  Product type: MacBookPro18,2
  Board ID: 0xa
  Chip ID: 0x6001
  System firmware: iBoot-10151.81.1
  Boot UUID: 7B8FB65E-180E-45B7-A7B0-4466C46D35E9
  Boot VGID: 7B8FB65E-180E-45B7-A7B0-4466C46D35E9
  Default boot VGID: 7B8FB65E-180E-45B7-A7B0-4466C46D35E9
  Boot mode: macOS
  OS version: 14.3.1 (23D60)
  OS restore version: 23.4.60.0.0,0
  Main firmware version: 14.3.1 (23D60)
  No Fallback System Firmware / rOS
  SFR version: 23.4.60.0.0,0
  SystemRecovery version: 22.7.74.0.0,0 (13.5 22G74)
  Login user: kinkazma

Collecting partition information...
  System disk: disk0

Collecting OS information...

Partitions in system disk (disk0):
  1: APFS [Macintosh HD] (4.00 TB, 6 volumes)
    OS: [B*] [Macintosh HD] macOS v14.3.1 [disk3s1s1, 7B8FB65E-180E-45B7-A7B0-4466C46D35E9]
  2: APFS (System Recovery) (5.37 GB, 2 volumes)

[B ] = Booted OS, [R ] = Booted recovery, [? ] = Unknown
  [ *] = Default boot volume

Using OS 'Macintosh HD' (disk3s1s1) for machine authentication.

Choose what to do:
  r: Resize an existing partition to make space for a new OS
  q: Quit without doing anything
» Action (r): r

We're going to resize this partition:
  APFS [Macintosh HD] (4.00 TB, 6 volumes)
  Total size: 4.00 TB
  Free space: 262.72 GB
  Available space: 1.95 GB
  Overhead: 222.77 GB
  Minimum new size: 3.99 TB (99.95%)

Warning: The selected partition has a large amount of overhead space.
  This prevents you from resizing the partition to a smaller size, even
  though macOS reports that space as free.

This is usually caused by APFS snapshots used by Time Machine, which
  use up free disk space and block resizing the partition to a smaller
  size. It can also be caused by having a pending macOS upgrade.

If you want to resize your partition to a smaller size, please complete
  any pending macOS upgrades and visit this link to learn how to manually
  delete Time Machine snapshots:

https://alx.sh/tmcleanup

» Continue anyway? (y/N):

What do I have to do? What am I risking by doing “y” under these conditions? I just want to install Asahi Linux, but with 4 TB it’s hard to have a complete backup. Pleeeaaase

Hello @kinkazma ,
Welcome to :fedora: !
I am not familiar with Asahi so will defer to others who will likely chime in soon … please be patient as the people supporting others here are volunteers and will likely be in all different time zones. Also, if you don’t mind deleting your duplicate topic about this, just to avoid confusion for others who may be facing similar issue(s).

Yes !

maybe @marcan or @jasoneckert might be of help here. (Just pinging them for you).

Thank you ! ^^
That’s very kind of you.

@kinkazma you should not continue, there’s no way you can install a functional Asahi Linux in less than 1.95 GB (for me, the boot partition alone is 1 GB). You also risk ending up with so little free space on the macOS partition that macOS won’t work properly.

TBH I’m surprised it even works with 1.95 GB of free space. The Asahi FAQ recommends leaving at least 40 GB free on the macOS partition (after the resize) for updates, but it’s very likely that having 50 GB or more of free space will also make macOS and your Mac apps perform better.

If you don’t know what is using most of your disk space, then you should open the link in the console output (How to delete Time Machine local snapshots in macOS | AppleInsider) and figure out how to clean up unnecessary backups and such.

But if you do know what’s using most of your disk space, and it’s stuff that’s important to you, then the only way to install Asahi is to buy an external HDD and move some of that stuff to the external disk (which also makes it easier to access from both macOS and Asahi).

@denulu I’ve got over 250GB of free space. :sweat_smile:
It’s displayed in my Finder and I’ve already deleted the Time Machine snapshots as well as the disks where backups were made on an old Mac (mine being 4TB, it’s difficult to back it up).
My computer runs fine, but I don’t understand the discrepancy between free space and available space.
The first and second lines of my post prove it.
:pleading_face:

@kinkazma I’m not very familiar with APFS so I don’t know exactly what that overhead means, or why “Available space” is so much smaller than “Free space” - “Overhead”.

What I am sure about is that the installer can’t free even 2GB and that there’s little point in trying to install Asahi on a partition with less than 50 GB, unless all you’re not planning to actually use it.

It’s very likely that it’s possible to reduce the overhead using diskutil, but since you started with “I don’t know anything about computers”, I wouldn’t recommend that. I would recommend instead that you move stuff to an external HDD until you have at least 15% free space, so you can give the Asahi partition 5% (200 GB) and also leave 10% of the macOS partition free.

I would also recommend that you keep at least two copies of the stuff that you really care about, regardless of whether you install Asahi or not.

2 Likes

I have already used the command you mention as suggested in the installation guide. I’ll have a look.
I do have a few basics (Ti Basic Ti-Nspire CX CAS) :joy:
And I’ve already tinkered with Apple script and done python 3 with GPT. But I don’t understand exactly. Let’s just say that the terminal or the code don’t scare me.

Warning: The selected partition has a large amount of overhead space.
  This prevents you from resizing the partition to a smaller size, even
  though macOS reports that space as free.

This is usually caused by APFS snapshots used by Time Machine, which
  use up free disk space and block resizing the partition to a smaller
  size. It can also be caused by having a pending macOS upgrade.

If you want to resize your partition to a smaller size, please complete
  any pending macOS upgrades and visit this link to learn how to manually
  delete Time Machine snapshots:

In the end I didn’t find it, I made room. Can you or someone else tell me what I do from here. This message keeps popping up and I don’t want to do anything stupid. I now have 117GB available for Asahi (400GB free). I have no update, or time machine snapshots.

Soft-bricking the machine is always a possibility, so I wouldn’t advise you to go ahead without a backup of the stuff you really care about.

If losing the data on your macOS partition is not catastrophic, just annoying, then I would say it’s safe to go ahead and install Asahi with 100 GB.

You should probably also try the First Aid Repair mentioned here, just in case:

I succeeded. I couldn’t disable TimeMachine on Sonoma. I had to disable snapshots via terminal, but in the end I had to make space. I even saturated my disaue with 400GB of data, I learned that 2GB is enough for my mac, but once freed the strange space was still there. I backed up 4TB with TimeMachine and was able to install Linux. It was difficult for me, but I managed.

However, I didn’t manage to install Sherloq, which I really wanted to have, it was kind of my last chance… Well, at least I learned something. Thanks a lot!