How to replace pipewire with pulseaudio

Hi,

I do have issues with the microphone on my Behringer UMC22 USB audio interface using pipewire. I do know that it is somehow possible to switch back to pulseaudio in Silverblue 35 but unfortunately I cannot find the documentation again.

Can someone help me out here? How do I switch again to pulseaudio - to fix my issues in the short term and does some have a suggestion how I could debug and report my issues in the long run?

Best regards,

Hello @tvannahl ,
pw- is the start of all pipewire command line commands. So your Behringer USB device is going to show devices connected likely through pipewire with pw-cli list-objects. If you’re wanting the pulse audio experience I think you should try pipewire-pulse --help at the command line.

Hi @jakfrost,

thank you unfortunately the issues appears to be somewhere in higher plains - but since I haven’t done much with sound backends in the last 10 years I don’t know how everything is connected.

My current problem at hand is in combination with Firefox. After connecting to a BigBlueButton (BBB) Instance I get prompted with the following selection of microphones:

image

after selecting the PCM2902 (the chip of my Behringer device) I cannot hear myself in BBB during an initial auto test phase. Whilst my microphone is clipping - in the audio interface - when blowing into it I can sometimes hear some noise - but never consistent.

I did try the other PCM2902 devices as well, but non do work. I already had this issues the last time I was using pipewire and it went away when switching to pa.

The “Input Device” Volume is at maximum and I am able to make recordings just fine using the App “Sound Recorder”. My output of pw-cli list-objects can be found under UNTITLED - Pastebin Service

I managed to do it in Fedora 35 with:

rpm-ostree override remove pipewire-pulseaudio wireplumber --install pulseaudio

After logging in an X11 session, I was able to share screen with sound again on Zoom.

Thank you very much @yajo that has been the command I’ve been looking for.

Currently I do have pipewire again on my system and I think I just found the helpers I need in case it happens again:

Using Helvum I can see how the sound is patched through the system and with the help of EasyEffects I can patch my mono input to both L+R channels in case that does that is not handled correctly by the application. The later happend a few times with different programs.

2 Likes