How to install AMD graphics driver on fedora 36

Hi I installed Fedora on my cousins computer, but he has an AMD graphics card and I don’t know how to install the driver.

He is currently using the built in driver, but his games are not getting very good FPS and some games don’t even work but they work just fine on my computer. I configured his computer exactly like mine with the only difference that I have a NVIDIA card and the Linux driver installed while he has an AMD card and currently using the built in x11-amdgpu driver.

I tried to install the AMD Linux driver on his computer, but I could not figure it out and I got an error saying the the packages could not be found. Does anyone know how to install the AMD graphics driver on Fedora 36?

Unless it is a very old gpu, amdgpu is the correct driver.

Unlike nvidia, amd is provides the open source driver directly. There is no other driver needed.

Are you sure the issue isn’t elsewhere? Have all the proper opengl/mesa/vulkan/etc bits configured.

well the card is a little old. it is a Radeon R9 290X.

I dont know much about AMD. I have always used Intel and NVIDIA.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-290x

Try this = RHEL x86 64-Bit

Since this is a Sea Islands (CIK) GPU (GCN 2.0), by default it works on older driver, but you can switch it to newer one, with Vulkan support and other features:

1. make sure you’ve got the driver installed:
    dnf in xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu vulkan-tools mesa-vulkan-drivers
  2. add undermentioned kernel parameters
    grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1"
  3. reboot

If you still have issues, post here output of cat /proc/cmdline and glxinfo -B

And here’s more about why this driver isn’t yet set as the default one Enabling AMDGPU by default for SI & CIK (#1776) · Issues · drm / amd · GitLab

This, most probably, won’t work on Fedora kernels, they are too new.

2 Likes

Mine is Ryzen 5 3550H