How to deal with a noisy cooling fan in a laptop?

Why not clean the fans or, if that doesn’t help, replace them?
After 10 years thermal compound is surely dried out and far from optimal thermal conduction, replacing it will decrease temperatures and, in effect, fan speeds and noise. Arctic MX-4 has good price/performance ratio.

1 Like

thermal compound I guess it is cooling paste. I am a little nervous to destroy my labtop by doing it by my self. Going to vendor is costing money I need to save for a new Desk top. I have also a old mac book where I need to do the same procedure. So learning cleaning hardware skills I must. Can you recomend a Turtorial or do you have an advice for the first time so I’m not destrying anything and not being able to be connected to this forum asking for help ?

Technically, it’s not cooling, but transferring heat to a heat pipe or heat sink :wink:
Most probably there should be a video of someone disassembling your laptop model (or some similar one), use some search engine. Start with grounding yourself (touch something metal, not small), unplug power supply and battery.
I’m using isopropyl alcohol to soften and clean old thermal paste with a paper towel and cotton swab. Rice grain sized compound should be enough for a processor in 10 years old laptop. Just be gentle, the chip probably won’t have any metal heat spreader, so don’t damage it.

2 Likes

That an good advice as it shall be my first hardware task. It seems simple to do and I will try.

Thank you :star_struck:

As stated it is not actually cooling, but rather thermal heat transfer, which is why it us usually termed ‘thermal paste’ or ‘thermal compound’. Normally used to make a full contact across 2 metal surfaces to prevent air gaps in contact and eliminate hot spots.

Use is easy. Care and attention to detail in disassembly and reassembly should prevent damage. Doing that type of work is usually much easier than most imagine it would be.

1 Like

I will take this machine to the working table. Seperate it. Clean it. To make sure the heat blows out and not is overheating inside. I found this video which shows how Clean and heatsink fanpower in Asus G75WV

Your link goes to DDG and not to the video. I do not appreciate the misdirection with the link.

There are lots of instructions, including images, directly from rog.asus.com that tell how to do the disassembly, cleaning, applying new thermal compound, and reassembly of that laptop. I hope you can do well with the task.

1 Like

What! I must have being really tied though. Thought I had that one in its place. But thank you any how. I do have a handicap and sometimes have that difficulty to concentrate at one task. Sometimes working and shifting between different tabs and windows make me forget.
I’m glad you can help me here.

Yes rather use the original source even that ametuer U-tube can be help full. But here’s no warenty like companies have to make sure to their customers.

When I follow your link I get guided to Republic of Gamers (Asus). But what is strange is when choosing the cooking settings. The language is in Hungarian or so. Anyway. This isn’t Fedora related. Just differently appearing from the rest of Webpage. Which are original english in mixed with danish.

Well doesn’t matter. I will go for it- Thanks ComputerSavvy

Cleaning a Asus Notebook

Sorry, I did not even mean that to be a link, just the site. I should have actually linked several of the forum posts but failed to do that.

I did a search for what you posted ‘Clean and heatsink fanpower in Asus G75WV’ and several links to the ROG forum pertaining to that task were what I was referring to.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-33957.html

2 Likes

The video seems fine, for some reason DDG does not embed it after opening the quoted link (probably some parameters are missing from the URL).

1 Like

Looks good. A step by step guide. I do get motivated when it’s looking so easy though :thinking: