How to: Citrix Workspace on Fedora 33

Hi all,

I wanted to share my experience via a how to with getting Citrix Workspace to work successfully with Fedora 33. The goal of sharing the data provided in this post is to help others that may use Citrix Workspace or someone that is wanting to move to Fedora.

What is Citrix Workspace?

Citrix Workspace is a digital workspace software platform developed by Citrix Systems that allows multiple users to remotely access and operate Microsoft Windows desktops running in a datacenter or a public or private cloud, via devices located elsewhere. source: Citrix Workspace - Wikipedia

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Fedora, Red Hat, or Citrix. I am a simple Linux user that works remote prior to COVID and during. This is not an advertisement.

Purpose:

• The purpose of this “how to” is to install Citrix Workspace on Fedora 33.

Versions:

• Fedora 33 (Workstation Edition)
  • The version of Citrix Workspace is: Citrix Workspace app 2101 for Linux

How to:

Step 1: Download Citrix Workspace app from Citrix’s website .

a) At the time of this writing the link is: Citrix Workspace app 2302 for Linux - Citrix

b) Scroll down to RPM Packages then “RedHat Full Package (Self-Service Support)” click “Download File” then select “Save File”

c) Scroll down to “USB Support Package” and click “Download File” then select “Save File”

Note: By default the files will save to your /home//Downloads directory.

Step 2: Open a terminal, cd to your home directory and Downloads.

Step 3: Install the Citrix Workspace app

a) Install the Citrix Workspace app starting with the ICAClient using the following command:

sudo yum localinstall ICAClient-<PRESS TAB> to autocomplete the remainder then press enter.

b) Install the USB Support Package similar to ICAClient:

sudo yum localinstall ctxusb<PRESS TAB> to autocomplete the remainder then press enter.

Step 4: Download Certificates from your employers Citrix Site

a) Go to your employers Citrix website. In Firefox go to: Security then View Certificates. Download PEM (cert) and PEM (chain)

1. Download CA certificates in PEM format.
  2. Save the certificate with .crt file extension.
  3. Switch to root user and copy the .crt CA certificate file to /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/ folder.
  4. Make sure the CA certificate file is owned by Root user and Group, and it has -rw-r–r-- or 644 as the File permissions.

Note: the steps in Step 4. 1-4 are from the Citrix article on “Citrix Workspace app for Linux: How to trust a CA certificate” https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX231524
Step 5: Create a symbolic link for certs

a) Create a symbolic link from /etc/pki/certs/* to the ICAClient keystore certs with the following command:

sudo ln -s /etc/pki/tls/certs/* /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts

b) then run Citrix’s ctx_rehash utility

Run sudo /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/util/ctx_rehash

Step 6: Open the Citrix Workspace app and log in

a) Open the Citrix Workspace app, enter your credentials and connect to your virtual desktop.

2 Likes

Just FYI, if people just need a remote desktop client, xfreerdp seems to work to connect to MS Windows servers and workstations. For example:

xfreerdp /network:lan /size:1024x768 /d:<domain> /u:<username> /v:<server> /g:<gateway>

I don’t have any need for Citrix Workspace, but thanks for writing this up for people who do. Seems like it might be a good candidate for Fedora Quick Docs :: Fedora Docs.

I would be super happy to share it there! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hello everybody, I wan to share my solution in Fedora 36 WorkStation
install and configuration of citrix in fedora 36

I hope help anybody

Do you just want to announce your work or do you intend to contribute to Fedora’s documentation? in the first case you should have a larger number of readers at discussion.fedoraproject.org. In the latter, an article in QuickDocs would be a good place.

1 Like

hello Peter Boy, yes I want to contribute with my own experience, I could not fix citrix in Fedora, and I made a video explaing about how to fix citrix , Ok tell me I made wrong in put my video here? or maybe I must document this solution?

hello, I took out the video from youtube , a friend of my adviced me that somebody of my work can watch the video, and this is a Bank of my Country.

No, it’s not wrong. But the entire documentary here is text. And I don’t know if we can at least embed a short video. It is somewhat controversial to embed YouTube videos because of privacy issues.

So, you should describe your experiences and solutions. That would be really great.

1 Like