How does discussion.fedoraproject.org compare to fedoraforum.org?

These two forums exist in parallel. Which of these is the official community support forum for Fedora?

This one is official.

3 Likes

This one wastes 66% of my screen space and probably looks fine on a phone, it sucks for larger screen size.

1 Like

I thought so too, but fedoraforum.org seems to be more popular and was the traditional Fedora forum.

The look is one thing, the content is another.

You won’t get any ads here :wink: .

BTW, welcome to the Fedora Discourse community :fedora: .

2 Likes

The ads are because the servers are run on a volunteer’s systems and ads help cover the hosting expenses.

I simply install Ublock Origin plugin, it works fine at blocking the ads

From Project Discussion to The Water Cooler

Added tech-talk and removed Site Help & Feedback, workstation-wg

Not even a little bit. . .

Blank space isn’t necessarily wasted. If the post area were full-width there, it would be harder to read. With a narrow column, you can scan vertically without your eyes going side-to-side. When it is much wider than what you show in your screenshot, when you get to the end of a line, you have to spend a little mental effort to find the line you’re on to start again (subconsciously, but it’s real[1]).

At some point soon, we’ll switch to the sidebar layout, like this:

which puts the left space to some use.

1. ↩︎

2 Likes

Welcome. I’m new here, but I’ve been using Red Hat since before Fedora was born. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been using Ublock Origin for a long time, and since then I don’t see many ads.

What makes you think this?

I rarely see if any search results or cross reference from that forum.

That I recall over the last 15yrs, I again disagree.

Have a good day :handshake:t5:

You’re probably right, and I don’t see many search results from the other forum either. On the other hand, I certainly haven’t used Fedora in the last 15 years. Regardless, I remember that in the past there was no Ask Fedora (this is where the discussion came from), only the fedoraforum, but we certainly don’t disagree on this. :slight_smile: