Add description on the front page which describes the purpose of this forum

It seems that users are confused on which types of questions fit into this forum.

Let’s add a message which describes difference between this space and discussion.fedoraproject.org

Example: Welcome to Fedora Discussion. Here we discuss ideas, projects, process and generic development of the Fedora Project. For problems, questions and support of released versions of Fedora, please use discussion.fedoraproject.org.

The other option would be to check how many “on-topic” questions are actually here, and maybe close this forum and move it under Ask umbrella, as a special subsection there, until it gets the traction it deserves.

But if we keep two forums, maybe let’s avoid using the word “discussion” at the Ask Fedora site and rename the categories, so that we have less confusing branding of these spaces.

2 Likes

Moved to Site Feedback category.

Good idea. We could do this by creating a global pinned message that appears at the top of all categories.

We should follow this up by changing a default user preference on Discourse from not automatically unpinning a pinned thread once it is read. This makes it easier to lose track of and forget pinned messages. I am only a Discourse moderator, not an admin, so someone else would have to make this change.

@FranciscoD, @bt0dotninja, @nasirhm, @hhlp, @alishapapun, or someone else from the Join SIG: any suggestions on wording for this global pinned message?

1 Like

I am only a Discourse moderator here, not an admin either I supose all Join SIG are moderator, not an admin too

I think if I remember well @FranciscoD point out some similiar to not convert dis.fp.org an Q&A site and route some kind of this question to ask.fp.org

+1 for this @jwf

REFERENCES

from him…

Yes, keeping them separate was intentional mainly because the two instances serve different purposes. While this instance is meant more for discussion around development of Fedora (and replaces some of the mailing lists, for example), Ask Fedora is only meant for end-user discussion. Combining them risks lots of end-user questions in development discussion categories, and we do not want that.

Regards.,

2 Likes

Let’s add a message which describes difference between this space and discussion.fedoraproject.org

+1 @bookwar.

If the Join SIG wants to provide some text, I can do the admin work. If no one does, I’ll just make up something myself. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Let’s me propose one, taken some ideas from both sides, message should be clear, concise, simple:

Blockquote
This instance is meant more for discussion around development of Fedora and Project itself, A better place for Fedora users to troubleshoot issues, please redirect to askfedora.

Regards.,

2 Likes

How about this edit?

This site is for discussion of development and other work within the Fedora Project. For support and troubleshooting help, visit Ask Fedora.

3 Likes

Nobody complained, so I’ve created a post that is the banner message displayed on all pages. (Users can elect to close it if they choose)

1 Like

Looks good to me, thank you!

1 Like