How do you install Fedora?!

Sorry for what seems like such a silly question, but I am quite frustrated. Firsly by the APPARENT lack of guides. I have gone through Fedora Docs and found loads of pages which CLAIM to be an ‘installation guide’, but none of them have any instructions whatsoever. I am dumbfounded, or maybe just dumb!

Example: Getting Started :: Fedora Docs

“Fedora variants and how to install” - yet there is no information covering “how to install”, either on this page or on the linked page for Fedora Workstation. What am i missing?!

I have searched Invidious for videos explaining it, and every single one covers installing using “Custom” method, then creating partitions for BOIS or Swap or Root or God knows what else.

I just want to WIPE my internal drive, make as much space available as possible (1TB), and install Fedora! So I thought I’d just try the “Automatic” option. But that confused me completely, please see image below:

(Note i didn’t intend to follow through with these options as I left “encrypt my data” unchecked, which I will be checking to encrypt the drive once I know how to proceed)

The only drive I can select (and did) says 952.87GB. I clicked Done and then get that pop up. I am confused, does this mean I MUST use the “Custom” option? If so, is there a guide for how to use that as all the videos I have seen have made my head spin!

Thanks for any guidance :slight_smile:

Did you notice “Free up disk space…” check box under “Storage Configuration”?

That is what you need to check so that al the existing partitions on the drive are removed.

4 Likes

Also “Reclaim space” in that pop up should work.

4 Likes

I’ve installed many Linux distributions without difficulty, but always struggle with the Fedora installer. I believe the next version will have a better installer - if you can wait that long.

2 Likes

I think it’s a UI/UX problem. I always do a Custom install to see how it’s changed, and from a visual view, it’s poor use of real estate.

Looking at the screenshot, 60% of the screen is just white space. To the eyes it’s distracting and causes you to look away or down from what you should be looking at.

The custom configuration is just as bad. . .

Also, now it looks like it defaults to installing in free space? Not sure if it was always like this, but it does accommodate dual boot users somewhat.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. So, I think…

I should install using “Automatic”, but ticking “free up space…” and “encryption”.

I am hoping for a complete install wiping out every remnant of Monsier Gates’s monstrosity from the machine (:smile: ) and giving me an encrypted hard drive which protects data should the drive be removed by a bad actor.

Am I about on the money?

thanks again!

3 Likes

Please check this Red Hat Customer Guide on reclaim space.

4 Likes

Thanks but I don’t think that should apply in my case, I suspect once I click to “Free up space” it will allow the entire SSD to be used for Fedora installation and my troubles will be in the past!

1 Like

Look at it anyway. You will be shown the next page where you select which partition you want to remove, or you can chose to remove all of them, by clicking the right button.

Yes I did look at it, to be honest it’s just adding confusion to my already frustrated and confused state. I have installed Fedora before, a few times actually, and all I remember is a joyfully simple process. The content of that page is mostly too technical for me and if it’s not essential I understand it all, I’d rather not take on a new lesson just now! As useful as it may be in future, if it’s not essential right now, it’s just added noise to slow me down some more.

1 Like

As I wrote in post-3, “I’ve installed many Linux distributions without difficulty” For example, Ubuntu (which I haven’t tried for a couple of years) was always straightforward. So no, I don’t think it’s a UI/Unix problem.

Try out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4YS7i2DT14

It shows how to reclaim all space on the disk.

I believe that the general confusion stems from the fact that the Anaconda installer tries to preserve anything already on the disk by default. That is, if you have the disk partitioned (and/or potentially installed with a previous system), all that seems to be available is the last scraps of unpartitioned disk space. From your screenshot that is the 1.3 MiB.

So, in order to install Fedora (or any other OS for that matter), you will need to make room, which means that you will likely need to destroy (read: remove) an existing partition on that drive.

Personally I prefer the “Advanced Custom (Blivet GUI)” option to partition the drive, which will show you the partitions similar to how other GUI partitioning tools show them. From there you can then decide to remove and/or re-purpose a partition.

If you like to follow this option, you would need to have the minimum of the following partitions on an EFI system:

• EFI partition (following Apple’s example, I usually use 200MB; mount point: /boot/efi)
  • boot (should be at least 512MiB: mount point: /boot)
  • a partition holding the OS (for Fedora Workstation, I would recommend around 40GiB minimum for a dedicated system partition; mount point: /)

To give you some fail-safe in case you mess up your system, I would recommend to have a separate partition for “/home”, so you can freely re-install the system without losing your data.
While the EFI partition will use “EFI System Partition” as file system option, the remainder of partitions are usually “ext4” (historical default for workstation setups) or “xfs” (default for servers).

Of course there are options for LVM and BTRFS (the latter being the current default for workstations), but each will add some additional complexity for setting up the OS, so I wanted to keep it simple with the above.

One more word about encryption: Keep in mind that if you do not encrypt the drive from the start, you cannot encrypt it later without removing/re-adding the partition(s) since the LUKS encryption layer goes “between the partition and the file system”. “EFI” and “boot” should not be encrypted since the system will need to find their respective content.

It always had defaulted to installing in free space, but the custom install allows selecting already defined partitions for use.

That is the way the installer is designed, though you should read that as WILL use the entire SSD (and wipe out anything already there).

1 Like

After selecting “Free up space” and clicking on “Done” you get the following screen:

For demonstration purposes I selected “sda3” and clicked on “Delete”. As depicted, other options are available like shrinking. Though the availability depends on the file system of the partition. So, you can make an informed decision on which partition you want to keep and which is to go to reclaim disk space for the new installation. It is not an all-or-nothing option.

Thanks, so reclaim space and delete all, that takes care of wiping the drive fully. I just need to add encryption to those options and I am good to go. :slight_smile:

Thanks, that gave me some basic idea of why some people do these complex installs where they have separate partitions for various stuff. I don’t see any need (or desire!) for that complexity for me, i’ll just wipe it and chuck Fedora on :slight_smile:

Ok, but I am hoping, since I want NOTHING but Fedora on the system (definitely no windows remnants), for me it is indeed all or nothing!

Just remember if you use Fedora first time, it could be that you have to check up what BTRFS is and how it works different from other FS es.

As an example are the partitions, they do not have a fixed size, so you have to be aware that not the whole system uses the BTRFS.

I personally propose the automatic partitioning with reclaiming used space, so you get an Idea which partition needs which FS. Fedora does this automatically for you and you do not need to scratch your head about partitioning.

But from the way BTRFS works, it is important to know that partitions can be on different physical volumes in case you are running out of space. This means you not have to play around with moving data because the FS is managing the size of it on its own. And also with sub-volumes you can easy crate snapshots if you want to test something.

1 Like

Thanks. Snapshots is something I have no clue about, only ever heard it mentioned on Windows back long after I had left it and started using Mac (TimeMachine and CarbonCopyCloner handled my backups).
I do want to learn about this stuff, BTFS and partitions etc as I have no idea at all what it all means, but I THINK i understand that a Linux (at least a Fedora) system can have 3 or even more partitions which can be assigned certain responsibilities/data, such as one for OS, one for personal data, one for who knows what else, clever dev testing stuff maybe :smiley:

I am about to dive in shortly, will go with Automatic, Encrypted, Reclaim all space/partitions for Fedora. I THINK that means I will have everything in one partition (if not no matter, I will learn this as soon as I can). My first task after installing is learning how to run backups. I need to ensure my home folder/personal data is backed up regularly, even if manually (I understand they are clever ways to get things to autorrun, but manually is fine for now). Once I know I can secure my personal data reliably (wish there was a carbon copy clone (bootable) for Linux!), I could also repartition and start again if for some strange reason I have a use for all this clever stuff!