How do you install Fedora?!

Ok, she’s installed :slight_smile:
One thing concerned me slightly, after installing, i powered off and turned back on.
I got a colourful “YOGA” logo with some message about “Yoga System Updates” which went from 0-100% very quickly and then it went to encryption password prompt (disk password). No idea what that Yoga stuff was, would have thought it was a Windows boot sector thing or similar, but I wiped out all partitions when installing,unless it was generated from BIOS (it wasn’t a BIOS type screen). Any thoughts appreciated.

I have powered off and on a few times and every time it shows this screen (below) before showing disk password prompt, is that normal?

Yes, this is happening because you may have powered the system on and off multiple times within a short period. Fedora Linux interprets this as a sign that your previous boot may have failed. It then triggers this system recovery mechanism:

systemd[1706]: Started grub-boot-success.timer - Mark boot as successful after the user session has run for 2 minutes.

This causes the GRUB menu to be displayed, so you have the option to choose a previous kernel if necessary.

1 Like

Interesting thanks. So if i shut down normally it should eventually stop showing?

If you start your computer, log in, and then keep it running for at least two minutes before shutting down, it should stop showing the GRUB menu.

1 Like

thanks very much

I also note that the kernel shown in that image is the kernel version from the install ISO. There have been many updates since F39 was released so I would suggest that you perform a full system upgrade as soon as possible. Do NOT interrupt the system after starting the upgrade until well after the upgrade completes to avoid potential file system corruption that may be caused by rebooting too soon after the upgrade.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff. I installed, then got wireguard VPN set up in Network Manager, then I plugged ethernet in and let it do it’s magic. All fully updated now :slight_smile:

Don’t feel dumb. Installing Fedora compared to a lot of other distros can be frustrating at times. As others have said using the custom install options is your friend as you can see what partitions you have and sizes. Also installing your home files on a separate partition will make your life easy in the long run if you ever have to reinstall from scratch (and realistically its just good practice). I’ve ended up installing it a few times and got a bit better and closer with each go (plus it’s on 2 laptops).

You’ll have fun with Fedora. It’s the only Linux distro I’ve kept on my systems for more than a month, now happily running for over 12months. No violent crashes, doesn’t fall over after updates and just chugs along nicely. Enjoy

1 Like

This really also depends on the Hardware you use. Some exotic constellations even of renominated companies can make some hiccups because of missing drivers.

So Using good selected Hardware can give you a really pleasant experience … not just with Fedora, also with other distributions who use the Stable Kernel.

True. Although I tried a lot of distros across the board before I settled on Fedora - well actually Ultramarine. Only because it was less hassle installing extra repo’s and drivers I needed. There are a lot of distros out there and a lot people recommend this or that, but for me I’ve always had some sort of issue with a lot of distros. Fedora for me has been less of a headache than many others I’ve tried. It just works. YMMV.

Sounds like very good advice. the thing is, I am just not technically knowledgeable enough to understand partitioning yet. When I can, I may have another go with a manual install. It all just looked confusing leaving me saying “I don’t know! I just want the OS on this machine!” - If that helps understand my competency level :slight_smile:

When you get more comfortable with Fedora, install a virtual machine manager like “Boxes” or “Virt Manager” and have a play around with installs. You can then work out what each bit does without wrecking your system. And if it doesn’t work, just blow it away and start again.

Thanks. I have run VMs before (Parallels and Virtual Box).
I am a bit worried (probably needlessly) that I SHOULD have used the custom install to make separate partitions for “/home” and other things, but I don’t understand the use case for it even though I suspect it’s good practice. I must try and find a guide (suitable to my level!) explaining it in basic English :slight_smile:

Hello @joeyjonnson ,
If you did a “standard” install, the partitioning scheme is to have / , /var, and /home to be their own subvolume of the btrfs volume created at install time. This is pretty much the same as different partitions in practice from the user POV when the subvolumes are all on one device. You can snapshot your /home subvolume or all of them using the snapshot feature of btrfs. WRT partitioning, there is nothing that separate partitions would do better for you if the disk fails, and data gets lost.
The custom partitioning is good for those times where you want to install Fedora across multiple devices for instance, like you have three hard drives that you want to use this for.

This depends upon the version of fedora installed.
If the user installs the standard Workstation or most of the other spins intended for the home user there are 4 partitions (or btrfs subvolumes) created and those are /boot, /boot/efi, /home and the root at /. Only a few versions such as server and the immutables such as kinoite and silverblue actually create a separate partition/subvolume for /var. (I am not even sure that server does that.)

The average user never needs to do a ‘custom’ install since the automatic partitioning used by most creates all the partitions needed; including / and /home.

Installing to a VM is a good idea for a new user since it is easy to repeat and start over even if they manage to make changes that break the OS in the VM. Their main ‘host’ system is thus still usable while learning about Fedora in the VM.