Help me understand Fedora Docs?

I would like to help with the Docs, translating them to German, but they are a mess?

The “edit this page” entry is not available on many pages. And I could not find most pages in the Gitlab?

Also, many things are missing, and the old Wiki needs to be converted to Docs afaik.

• usage statistics (the last ones are very old?)
  • FUDcon updates (these dont exist anymore, right?)

I am updating the insanely old german Wikipedia article currently and use many docs links with “de” in the header, which I would like to actually translate.

Btw did you know that Fedora went from top tier Server Distro to nearly not used? Pretty interesting and sad, especially if CentOS will crash too, taking some 12% marketshare with it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the team! Translation is currently one of the weak parts of Fedora Docs. Help is urgently needed.

A mess or not a mess - the solution to this kind of question is since Shakespeare a dependency of
your Point Of View :slight_smile: From mine we have made considerable progress over the last 2 years and are still progressing. I will try to shed some light on this mess.

Fedora has only been using gitlab.com/fedora for about 2 years. So far, Fedora’s main git repo is pagure.io and a large part of our documentation source code is still located there (e.g. for our most used editions Workstation and Server, and also Quick Docs). And the sources of some documentations are located elsewhere, e.g. GitHub. And it is not uncontroversial whether GitLab is a less efficient overkill for documentation, for example.

This situation is perhaps a kind of mess. But Fedora is very developer-centric, and developers may tend to use whatever suits their needs best. And another common principle is that whoever does the work should largely determine the process and fit their workflow. It may seem like a mess at first glance, but it makes sense and has its advantages.

Nevertheless, every published article should have an edit button. If there is none, it’s either a bug or the hosting repo does not have suitable tools, or it is a special closed doc. I would be grateful for information on which pages do not have the link.

As to my knowledge, all the most important user documentations, all of our editions, provide that link.

Well, a lot of topics are missing. But don’t be fooled. Fedora documentation is very focused on Fedora-specific customizations and procedures, leaving the general description to the upstream project as much as possible. Other distributions contain - sometimes additionally - a quasi retelling of the upstream documentation. This is exactly what we want to avoid.

Regarding statistics, which statics do you refer to? The latest I know is from August this year.

What source are you referring to?

And by the way, if you’re interested in Fedora Server Edition, feel invited to join our server WG (that’s my 2nd leg in Fedora). We still have a lot of documentation to do (Fedora Server Documentation :: Fedora Docs)

1 Like

Thanks for the info! That is confusing but then I will look in pagure and start translating!

Yes Server… I like SELinux a lot and plan on using Secureblue Server on a machine to try it out, as I find CoreOS confusing and Atomic Desktop pretty cool.

I am not a developer, even though pretty nerdy haha. So maybe? I will see.

That’s odd. Could you please note these pages here when you come across them? All pages that are on the docs should have links to their sources there from what I know. (And if not, this should be documented somewhere to prevent confusion)

I don’t know if this is noted somewhere either, but my understanding is that docs are not meant to be a replacement for the wiki. I.e., not everything on the wiki needs/should be migrated to docs. Docs are for documentation only (usually stuff that does change, but not at a high rate), whereas the wiki is also very commonly used as a scratch pad type thing where people make notes, and share information for specific tasks. So, the FUDCon etc. pages remain on the wiki because they are used for organisation of the event. They shouldn’t be moved to docs.

1 Like

According to TechRadar Fedora Server ranks #4 and FCOS as #5 in their “Best Linux Servers of 2023” at Best Linux server distro of 2023 | TechRadar

1 Like

For translating of Fedora, the Docs included, we use our on-line translation platform powered by Weblate – more info L10N team docs.

1 Like

I would eventually like to see a clean separation, with (for example) the overview pages for a type of of event, and even the high-level info for specific events, on the docs site, and the wiki just for fast-changing (and largely ephemeral) information (schedule and attendance and travel info, etc.)

But that’s aspirational, and would take more re-organization tedium than I want to ask anyone to deal with. :classic_smiley:

1 Like

As Josef pointed out, we have a dedicated translation group. So, instead of going to pagure.io it is really better to go to those pages and start from there.

I think it is even better if you start with a specific content, e.g. Workstation documentation or Server documentation if you are interested in one of those. And it is good practice to start conversation on one of the special communication channels (e.g. their discussion tag) and to present your idea. So you will get info whether someone else is already working on it and a lot of other useful information.

If you have some experience with SecureBlue we would be keen if you share your experiences as part of our Server documentation. And not being a developer is not an issue. Our focus as Server WG is not so much developing packages but to put everything together into a polished, easy and efficient to use secure distribution - more or less a high-level, system admin approach.

And regarding WIKI: It is highly recommended to present your plans here in docs before you start investing work.

Unfortunately, this TechRadar site seems to be more an advertising site with some much sought-after topic as bait, without any solid information content.

Do you happen to systematically monitor the echoes of Fedora in the relevant media? It would be interesting if we were to do this systematically. Admittedly, I gave up some time ago.

No, but I don’t really pay much attention to any of them that much anyway. I just did that search in response to the comment that Fedora Server is in the dustbin for use. My impression around the community and elsewhere is that is not the actual case.