Google-chrome-stable gpg key error

Hi,

chrome fails to update due to a gpg key verification error.

❯ sudo dnf upgrade google-chrome-stable
Last metadata expiration check: 0:11:32 ago on Fri 23 Feb 2024 08:33:44 AM EST.
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================
 Package                 Arch      Version               Repository        Size
================================================================================
Upgrading:
 google-chrome-stable    x86_64    122.0.6261.69-1       google-chrome    103 M

Transaction Summary
================================================================================
Upgrade  1 Package

Total size: 103 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
[SKIPPED] google-chrome-stable-122.0.6261.69-1.x86_64.rpm: Already downloaded  
google-chrome                                    97 kB/s |  16 kB     00:00    
GPG key at https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub (0x7FAC5991) is already installed
GPG key at https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub (0xD38B4796) is already installed
The GPG keys listed for the "google-chrome" repository are already installed but they are not correct for this package.
Check that the correct key URLs are configured for this repository.. Failing package is: google-chrome-stable-122.0.6261.69-1.x86_64
 GPG Keys are configured as: https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
Error: GPG check FAILED

I found some prior posts on this (e.g. like this one) but I’m not sure what actions to take next. Should I remove the broken keys? Rerun the script /etc/cron.daily/google-chrome that chrome uses to distribute keys? Log a bug against google-chrome and wait for it to be fixed? Other?

Thx,
brian

3 Likes

For anyone else who finds this, the answer was

sudo /etc/cron.daily/google-chrome

Now I can upgrade chrome.

Apparently you were attempting to update during the period between when the repo was updated and the time that the system ran cron.daily.

lucky me =)

I found this post after trying to uninstall&reinstall the RPM, but it didn’t work. And I lost the /etc/cron.daily/google-chrome file. So the solution for me was removing the old GPG keys and then reinstalling the package.

This command lists the GPG keys:

rpm -q gpg-pubkey --qf '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\t%{SUMMARY}\n'

Then I removed the two Google GPG keys:

sudo rpm --erase --allmatches gpg-pubkey-7fac5991-4615767f
sudo rpm --erase --allmatches gpg-pubkey-d38b4796-570c8cd3

and I reinstalled the package:

sudo dnf install google-chrome-stable
1 Like

i just downloaded .RPM from google and then went to download folder and run sudo rpm-ostree install google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm it will install all keys and repos and all done

on Fedora repo i got thet gpg key error so went to other option to install