Fwupdmgr is installed, but bash says command not found

Hello,
I was trying to check my firmware update this morning, and the response I get from Bash is …

[jakfrost ~]$ sudo fwupdmgr --show-all
[sudo] password for ssnow: 
Command not found

Use fwupdmgr --help for help

And now, I cannot seem to locate it with DNF anymore …

[jakfrost ~]$ dnf info fwupdmgr
Not root, Subscription Management repositories not updated
rocm                                                                                                                                                                                                           43 kB/s | 3.0 kB     00:00    
Copr repo for dnf5-unstable owned by rpmsoftwaremanagement                                                                                                                                                    9.4 kB/s | 1.5 kB     00:00    
Copr repo for dnf5-unstable owned by rpmsoftwaremanagement                                                                                                                                                    574 kB/s | 246 kB     00:00    
amdgpu                                                                                                                                                                                                         43 kB/s | 3.0 kB     00:00    
Fedora 39 - x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                             67 kB/s |  24 kB     00:00    
Fedora 39 - x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                            1.2 MB/s | 1.7 MB     00:01    
Fedora 39 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                   77 kB/s |  23 kB     00:00    
Fedora 39 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                  4.2 MB/s |  14 MB     00:03    
google-chrome                                                                                                                                                                                                 7.8 kB/s | 1.3 kB     00:00    
google-chrome                                                                                                                                                                                                  11 kB/s | 3.6 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Free                                                                                                                                                                                11 kB/s | 3.6 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Free - Updates                                                                                                                                                                      20 kB/s | 2.9 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Free - Updates                                                                                                                                                                     606 kB/s | 142 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree                                                                                                                                                                             73 kB/s | 6.8 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree - Updates                                                                                                                                                                   49 kB/s | 5.8 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree - Updates                                                                                                                                                                  293 kB/s |  67 kB     00:00    
Error: No matching Packages to list

So what happened to the firmware updating package? Did it just drop off the list?

Try:

% dnf whatprovides /usr/bin/fwupdmgr

Hi @gnwiii ,
Yeah the package name I got wrong but the command is right and the executable is here, I can use it’s help for example. (note the response I get from trying to run it) As a side note I use the Bash completion pretty extensively and it provides three options of executables that begin with “fwup”. I’ll try re-installing the package to see if that helps. Thanks for your reply. So for instance here is the (correct) response to the info on the pkg …

[jakfrost ~]$ dnf whatprovides /usr/bin/fwupdmgr
Not root, Subscription Management repositories not updated
Last metadata expiration check: 0:28:35 ago on Mon 11 Dec 2023 07:14:58 AM.
fwupd-1.9.5-2.fc39.i686 : Firmware update daemon
Repo        : fedora
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/bin/fwupdmgr

fwupd-1.9.5-2.fc39.x86_64 : Firmware update daemon
Repo        : fedora
Matched from:

fwupd-1.9.10-1.fc39.i686 : Firmware update daemon
Repo        : updates
Matched from:

fwupd-1.9.10-1.fc39.x86_64 : Firmware update daemon
Repo        : @System
Matched from:

fwupd-1.9.10-1.fc39.x86_64 : Firmware update daemon
Repo        : updates
Matched from:

If I try to remove it, it would take gnome software out too. Reinstalling does install the single package (fwupd) but here is the response from a command issue …

[jakfrost ~]$ fwupdtool 
Command not found
Use fwupdtool --help for help
WARNING: This program may only work correctly as root

I usually run doas fwupdtool <arguments>. I never encountered the “Command not found”, but I get the same output from doas fwupdmgr --show-all. Shells normally give the <shell>: <name of command>: command not found so I suspect the message comes from one of the libraries used by fwupdtool.

Okay so I am not using the command options correctly I guess. This must be a change, the last time I used it was some releases ago, likely when it first appeared, or more likely when I first noticed it. At that time I only remember using the fwupdmgr command but I don’t remember the options. As for the “command not found” it is the first time in recent memory, I have had the command actually “found” as in known where it is, and get that message. Also, there is a noticeable lag from the issue of the command and the result. I guess this may be a “feature”?
[Edit] Trying options seems to result in the same answer from the shell.

You didn’t specify a command; --show-all is not a command but an option to some command.

For example fwupdmgr get-history --show-all where get-history is the command and --show-all is the option.

Also run fwupdmgr --help to the the list of commands and options.

You may find some additional documentation files in /usr/share/doc/fwupd.

1 Like

Hello @vekruse ,
Ah yes, thanks that makes sense. Once my defrag finishes on /var (sometime next week I guess) i’ll try this again.
[Edit] So the shell response was a canned response?

[PPS] just tried while defragging and it works. Thanks again @gnwiii & @vekruse :slight_smile:

[Edit] So the shell response was a canned response?

No, it was not a response from the shell. It was a response from fwupdmgr. The command was run by the shell, but you did not give any command to it. I can understand the confusion as the outpust are similar. The reply about using --help was a clue that the output came from the command; the shell would not have known that.

Thanks, Yeah I got that.