Fedora Linux Compatibility on 2 in 1s

Hi All,
This is my first post so I hope this is all in the right place and what not.
I have not touched Linux, but have been looking into Fedora for a while now and it seems like a really cool operating system with a great mission and community around it.
I’m currently in the market for a new laptop, and I am specifically looking into 2 in 1s, and was just quickly wondering if anyone has any experience with any model in particular that work fantastic (Or near fantastic) out of box with Fedora, as I have limited command line knowledge at this point in time hahaha.

Thanks for all your time, I really appreciate it!

What is special about a “2 in 1”? I am not familiar with that phrase and really have no clue what you are asking.

Most laptops of all styles and brands that were released at least 6 to 9 months ago can work well with linux. It really depends on the hardware inside whether the drivers needed are available.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I probably should’ve mentioned what it is, that’s my bad, a 2 in 1 is a laptop that functions like a traditional laptop but also as a tablet in a way with touch support. It’s good to know that there is general support for products on the market for a while. Thanks for the help!

That additional information is good.

Essentially you need to know that the device will function properly either as a tablet with touchscreen input or as a laptop with keyboard input.

I don’t know the status of the touchscreen input but can suggest that if you take a live usb device with you to the store and get permission to boot the device live then you can try out the different modes. If it works then good. If not then no-go. Don’t hold your breath expecting every device you see to work for you.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll give that a shot!

2 in 1s can be really useful, so this is a good question. In general, I would say not to expect perfect touchscreen functionality in linux.

I have a touchscreen laptop, and it generally works, but the touch functionality sometimes glitches or crashes. It’s not as smooth of an experience as in Windows, so I wouldn’t recommend it to non-technical people.

As for the 2 in 1 functionality, I don’t know if screen rotation is implemented, or if the keyboard gets disabled when in tablet mode. It’s a good idea to try it with a live usb, but my initial reaction is not to have high expectations.

As far as the touchscreen goes it works in most laptops so called 2in one
With gnome and kde don’t know about xfce.

Now it is the best way to check with in a live usb i will recommend try with 2 os versions
Format a drive with ventoy and then copy fedora 35 and 36 beta with you because 36beta coming with 5.17 keenel so if some stuff don’t have support in the 5.14 but it should be supported in the f36 though it is in beta.
If don’t want to do that take f36beta with you it is my recommendation.
Forgot to mention touch support is already there for long time in linux kernel itself so touch mostly works out of the box for most devices but still some are there use strange components which don’t have the drivers.
But i am sure touch works in most devices. Still try it in the device store in live with kde or gnome workstation whatever you like.

I would love to hear any update to this thread. I am looking at buying a ‘2 in 1’. Did you get Fedora to work with it?