Fails to boot with kernel 6.8.10

After the update to kernel 6.8.10 fedora won’t boot. I have this problem on three completely different machines. It boots fine with kernel 6.8.9 and previous.
Other users have the same problem as mentioned in the following thread, where a different problem got solved: Not booting after update to kernel 6.8.10 - #58 by computersavvy
Here is where it stuck at me:

1 Like

I’m sure that you’re going to get some help here in a bit.

To get that ball rolling, I’m going to suggest that you re-boot, and at the grub boot menu, follow the instructions at the bottom to boot the previously installed kernel, version 6.8.9.

Once you get logged in, open a terminal window and try sudo journalctl -b -1 | less, skip to the bottom, and from there backup in that output until you begin to see things looking like errors or other clues.

Also, maybe let everyone know for sure whether or not you’re using Fedora Workstation or some other variant, and something about your hardware setup.

Good luck!

Yeah, I split my topic off from the original since it was different. I posted it here Boot waits indefinitely after kernel update to 6.8.10. Note that in my case there had been a swap partition at one time for suspend-resume which was no longer in existence. The kernel boot command line had the argument for suspend-resume to point to the no longer present swap partition. For the kernel 6.8.9 and before it timed out in the max time of 45 seconds, while after the update that has the 6.8.10 kernel this time out max was set to no timeout, so the boot waited indefinitely for a device which no longer existed. I corrected my kernel argument and that solved the boot issue.

3 Likes

At least one individual with this type error found that they had a kernel command line with a resume option stated for a no longer present device that had been used as swap some time in the past.

Can you check if this is your case with either cat /proc/cmdline, cat /etc/kernel/cmdline or cat /etc/default/grub (maybe all three) when booted with the older 6.8.9 kernel?

If so, then at least that one individual was able to fix the issue by removing the resume portion of the kernel command line so it was not searching for a device that no longer existed.

Post the output of cat /proc/cmdline here so we can see the exact details.

1 Like

that caused really the issue. is too long ago that i changed this drive.

2 Likes

How should I “fix the issue by removing the resume portion of the kernel command line so it was not searching for a device that no longer existed” ? Thank you

1 Like

We could need to confirm that is the cause for you before making changes.
Boot to the older kernel then post the output of cat /proc/cmdline

1 Like

Result is:

BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,gpt7)/boot/vmlinuz-6.8.9-300.fc40.x86_64 root=UUID=2b9553d4-ab69-41b5-895c-c6cf60650450 ro resume=UUID=64a7d51c-cec7-4915-8d84-ba94e1af9998 rhgb quiet

That would need to be removed from your kernel boot arguments (cmdline). so in your case it would be something like …
sudo grubby --remove-args=resume=UUID=64a7d51c-cec7-4915-8d84-ba94e1af9998 then I think you have to run grub2-mkconfig, but I’ll let @computersavvy chime in on that if they want. I use systemd-boot so it is different tools.

1 Like

I think that should be
sudo grubby --remove-args=resume=UUID=64a7d51c-cec7-4915-8d84-ba94e1af999 --update-kernel=ALL to ensure that all current kernel entries see the change.

AFAICT there is no need to use grub2-mkconfig since it modifies the /boot/loader/entries files and also modifies /etc/default/grub and /etc/kernel/cmdline so kernel updates will automatically see the change.

2 Likes

It worked! But what happened? Is it related to my dual boot setup?

The suspend/resume function must have been enabled at some time since that points to a swap partition (in my case) and it used to time out in 45 seconds, but was adjusted to unlimited wait so your system would wait indefinitely, for hardware that didn’t exist, to appear. Probably not related to dual boot setups at all.

2 Likes

Good stuff, like I said, I’ve been using systemd-boot for awhile now.

Thank you! Had the same issue and this worked for me as well!

1 Like