Copr integration

I am one of the developers of Copr. I would love to integrate Copr with discussion.f.o. What can I do for it?

I would probably like to have a category named “Copr projects” and have a topic for each project (we have 9k projects) and have it embedded on each copr project page. Is it feasible?

I discovered Embed Discourse comments on another website via Javascript - admins - Discourse Meta which state that admin has to enable the embedding.

2 Likes

I created the Copr category with a description and gave you moderator rights for Discourse - it would certainly be doable to create a topic for each project. It seems a lot but it’s just 9000 rows in a database so it should be fine.

Shall we go ahead and do this? Others’ thoughts?

In the page I linked in comment 0 is stated that those topics are created automatically once the embeded code on the page is called. We can try it.

I tried to create a page with an embedded comment and I get " Error Embedding".

I guess that is because in admin section I cannot find and do this step: Admin > Customize > Embedding. @sanja can you do something about it?

Yes - see my email just now. Should work once all settings for the embedding host are set up. Looking forward to see it working.

I configure (btw it seems that path whitelisting does not work, but I can leave it) and now I have:

https://copr-fe-dev.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/g/mock/mock/

Which does not work. While artificial

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/test.html

works. And I do not know why the first one does not work. Any idea?

So I am a bit concerned that it just overload the main index page. Is there a way to have a more balanced view, or just hide copr from that ?

Cause if suddenly, there is 9000 topics, there will likely be lots of discussions. My screen show 12 lines. So if each copr topic receive a message every 2 years (cause 12 * 365 * 2 => 8760 messages, so kinda 9000), the main page would show 12 discussions on copr, and any discussion older than 1 day would be pushed down.

And 1 message every 2 years is not that much traffic per package, and so that’s not exactly great IMHO.

1 Like

I just ticked “Suppress category from latest topics.” and it no more appears on the front page.

2 Likes

Hello, is it possible for a user to reply directly on a page where discourse is loaded in the embedded mode? We would like this option very much in our Copr projects. See e.g. here: https://copr-fe-dev.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/g/mock/mock/. Needing to jump back and forth to comment wouldn’t be very pleasant experience for our users.

@sanja Can you please grant @frostyx the admin rights. He will try to tune CSS for embedding according to Pat David: Styling Discourse Embeds

@frostyx I already set the class for Copr elements to copr-discussion, so you need to define a style for these classes.

I find that I can grant it myself. Done. So when you will be revoking my admin rights later, include @frostyx as well.

Ok, let me know when it’s finished.

ping on answering in the embedded mode?

@clime I haven’t found a way for that yet. :confused: Maybe we could implement that but that’s not gonna change for a while still then. Anyone else?

@sanja: thank you for looking at it. This is quite important feature for us. This discussion forum here is a fine thing but we would like our users to stay on Copr site when they encounter some interesting project and they would like to comment.

@msuchy @clime Shall we consider this not working for the COPR purpose then?

Embed Discourse comments on another website via Javascript - admins - Discourse Meta says that “One important thing to note with this setup is that users have to navigate to your forum to post replies . This is intentional, as we feel that the posting interface on a Discourse forum is currently much richer than what we could embed via Javascript.” - that’s a shame but not something we can currently change (not easily or quickly anyway).

We need to discuss it first in our team properly.

On our team meeting, we did not come to 100% conclusion that we want it. So we are going postpone the work on this. @sanja you can revoke my and @frostyx admin rights. We may revisit this later.

For now, thank you for the co-operation.

For anyone interested in, here is the original PR for Copr PR#364: discourse integration - copr/copr - Pagure.io

Doing that - also deleting the COPR category for now, if that’s alright with you? For apps in general, there is the “Apps and Gaming” category.