Can't print multiple copies - only one copy, regardless

Hi there,

I’m using Fedora 37 with KDE. When I try to print multiple copies of a document, I get one successful print and no error messages. This happens from any program.

Printer is a Xerox AltaLink 8035 connected via network. No other problems printing. Any suggestions? Anyone else experienced this issue? Thanks!

CR

Not sure (I don’t even have a printer on my home system), but is there anything interesting listed on the print jobs report?: http://localhost:631/jobs/

Everything says COMPLETED. The multi-page ones were multiple copy jobs and did not actually produce 40, 30, 8 whatever pages.

1 Like

It is interesting that the multipage jobs are showing a “Reprint job” option but the single page jobs are not. It does look like a bug in the software or the driver. Is there another compatible print driver you can try?

1 Like

I found an ancient bug report against cpus where the problem was that the previous print settings weren’t being cleared for subsequent jobs.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=303431

Does something like systemctl restart cups.service right before printing a multipage job make it work?

1 Like

It looks like you should be able to watch the logs while printing with a command similar to the following.

$ sudo journalctl -u cups -f

If that doesn’t show anything that looks like a reason it might have stopped printing after the first page, you can also try increasing the loglevel by editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and then restarting the cups service.

From looking at the man page (man cupsd.conf) it looks like valid values for the LogLevel option are: none emerg alert crit error warn notice info debug debug2.

Hope that helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks so far. I should clarify: multi-page documents print fine, but I can’t print multiple copies of any document (single- or multi-page).

Does something like systemctl restart cups.service right before printing a multipage job make it work?

No effect.

Here’s the “debug” level log from a print job. This document is a single sheet PDF, two-sided. I requested 2 copies (so 4 pages, 2 sheets). Job sent at line 996. Do you see anything unusual?

The default level log doesn’t return any errors. still pretty stumped. Thanks for your assistance so far.

The last few lines for Job 201 appear to be saying that tray 5 is empty – Tray 5 (Bypass) is empty. User intervention is required to add paper to Tray 5.. And then a few lines later it reports a “subunit-offline-error”. It seems to be confused about what tray it is using and if there is paper available in the tray. Can you try adding paper to all the trays and see what happens? (Some printers have a semi-hidden “manual feed” tray that you have to pull open and drop a page into to use.) It could still be a bug in the driver where it is trying to use the wrong tray for whatever reason. It could also be a bug in the printer’s firmware.

$ grep '\[Job 201\]' pronting.txt | tail -n 13
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] printer-alert 1setOf octetString code=mediaEmpty;index=2;severity=warningBinaryChangeEvent;training=untrained;group=input;groupindex=5;location=753500;time=1681506372,code=subunitOffline;index=55;severity=critical;training=noInterventionRequired;group=marker;groupindex=-1;location=958400;time=1681597745
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] printer-alert-description 1setOf textWithoutLanguage Tray 5 (Bypass) is empty. User intervention is required to add paper to Tray 5. Print and Copy services can continue if the correct paper is available in other trays.,Xerographic adjustments are in progress. No user intervention is required; please wait. Print and Copy services are disabled until the adjustments are completed.
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] printer-is-accepting-jobs boolean true
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] printer-mandatory-job-attributes 1setOf keyword attributes-charset,attributes-natural-language,printer-uri
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] printer-state enum processing
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] printer-state-message textWithoutLanguage Xerographic adjustments are in progress.
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] printer-state-reasons keyword subunit-offline-error
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] ---- end-of-attributes-tag ----
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] ATTR: auth-info-required=none
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] PID 465641 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd) exited with no errors.
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] time-at-completed=1681596594
Apr 15 17:09:54 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] Job completed.
Apr 15 17:09:55 thesaurus cupsd[465274]: [Job 201] Unloading...

Edit: You might also have some luck if you set all the trays to have the same paper size. Sometimes a manual feed tray will default to “envelope” size, for example.

1 Like

:thinking:

Sometimes printers may be set to print the first page from one tray (a header or letterhead page) and the remainder from another tray (plain paper). This is often done with the manual feed tray.

Is it possible that the printer itself sees that multiple copies of the same document is asking for letterhead to be fed from the manual tray and since that does not happen is timing out or giving an error for that print job?

Just my $.02

1 Like