Can't install VLC

I am trying to install the VLC flatpak but it isn’t working. I’m trying to install it from the website flathub.org. I thought you could install flatpaks on Silverblue?

2 Likes

Open a terminal and type

flatpak install org.videolan.vlc

flatpak install org.videolan.vlc
@dalto
It will not work if you have not already added the Flathub repo to Silverblue. The 3rd Party Repo toggle on initial install curates Flathub to 5 apps…

Hey @apollo18 Go ahead and add the Flathub repo again by doing the following :

29e4baa6b8b61e235f01bb0913ad08c9f8da759b.png

After that you should be good to go to install VLC

I am curious to learn why in source it says: “Local file” (Flatpak)

Also, why does VLC even show up in Software, when flathub is not yet set up as repository?

2 Likes

minor correction:

flatpak install org.videolan.VLC

(…with capital VLC, that makes a difference but of course has nothing to do with the issue of the OP)
(see Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux)

I downloaded the file and tried to install it using Software from my SSD.

That isn’t really isn’t the best way to install a flatpak. You should enable the repository in flatpak and then install directly from the repository.

2 Likes

Yeah, I see that now. I enabled the repository and now flatpaks install from the Terminal. I’m still learning.

1 Like

… and Gnome Software, right?

When you first install Fedora, you ge the option to add 3rd party Repos ( Including Flathub )

As is the evidence in the Software Center

but Fedora Filters this and only allows 6 apps to get through, ( MS Teams, Zoom, Minecraft, Discord, Postman, Skype )

So you have to add the Flathub repo again. . . This is VERY confusing for new users as i have documented on another thread. Honestly needs someone to rethink this methodology.

2 Likes

Yes, that is confusing but thankfully there is a community willing the help new users sort it all out.

1 Like

Let’s hope someone takes notice. . . :clap: