Hi!
I’m a Fedora maintainer and bioinformatics researcher, and I’d like to gauge interest in creating a Bioinformatics SIG dedicated to packaging and maintaining bioinformatics and computational biology tools in Fedora.
The Gap
Right now, researchers who use Fedora for bioinformatics work face a fragmented landscape:
- Core tools like BLAST, SAMtools, Bowtie2, HMMER, BWA, and BEDTools have no robust RPM packages in the official repos.
- Biopython exists, but most of the ecosystem is missing.
- The Medical SIG lists bioinformatics in its scope, but is (understandably) focused on broader medical practice and imaging.
- The SciTech SIG has a Bioinformatics Wish List, but it hasn’t seen much activity.
- In practice, most of us end up relying on Bioconda or building from source, which works, but means Fedora is not a main choice for this domain.
What This SIG Would Do
Short-term goals:
- Identify and prioritize the most-needed bioinformatics tools for RPM packaging
- Start packaging core tools (sequence alignment, variant calling, phylogenetics, structural biology)
- Set up a COPR repository for early builds and community testing
- Coordinate with the Medical SIG, SciTech SIG, and NeuroFedora to avoid duplication
Medium-term goals:
- Build a Fedora Lab (or Spin) for bioinformatics, a ready-to-use environment for researchers
- Establish packaging guidelines for bioinformatics software (many tools have complex dependency chains, bundled libraries, or unusual build systems)
- Create documentation and quickstart guides for researchers on Fedora
Long-term vision:
- Make Fedora a competitive platform for bioinformatics research, on par with Debian Med
- Engage with upstream projects to improve build system compatibility with RPM packaging
Who Is This For?
- Bioinformatics researchers and students who use (or want to use) Fedora
- Fedora packagers interested in scientific software
- Anyone working in genomics, proteomics, structural biology, systems biology, or computational biology
What I’m Looking For
- Are you interested? Even a “+1” or “I’d use this” helps gauge demand.
- Would you contribute? Packaging, testing, documentation, or just feedback. All welcome!
- What tools do you need most? What are the first packages you’d want to see?
- Are there existing efforts I should connect with? I’m aware of the SciTech wish list and Medical SIG, but I may be missing other work.
If there’s enough interest, I’ll set up a wiki page, a Matrix channel, and we can start from there.
Looking forward to hearing from you!