Best Practice for fedora-root file system layout?

coreos

Do we have a suggestion for how best to lay out filesystems? The Fedora installer seems to create unusually small /fedora-root partitions. I have had this bit me on Fedora Server (Atomic and Modular), not yet on SilverBlue.

For example, I have a server with 192G RAM, but only 500G of disk. I create a Centos7 libvirt VM, run the installcentos script and voila! I’m out of space on fedora-root.

Filesystem                      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                         95G     0   95G   0% /dev
tmpfs                            95G     0   95G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                            95G  9.5M   95G   1% /run
tmpfs                            95G     0   95G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/fedora_bessie-root   15G   15G  164K 100% /
tmpfs                            95G  4.0K   95G   1% /tmp
/dev/sda1                       976M  170M  740M  19% /boot
tmpfs                            19G     0   19G   0% /run/user/1000

Is there a collective opinion on this?

IIRC @mclasen has mentioned this somewhere else before (IRC?) in reference to Silverblue, largely because Flatpaks are installed on the rootfs by default, which uses up quite a bit of space. That isn’t even factoring in any containers that may have been created yet.

I remember back in the early days of Project Atomic you brought up an image in a virtual machine and got something like a 6 GB root filesystem. Then you tacked on another virtual disk of, say, 30 GB, to store the images.

When I install a workstation I usually give / a 50 - 75 GB space, although that includes /usr. On my current workstation / is a 120 gb SSD and /var and /home are on a 1 TB spinning disk. So my PostgreSQL database and all my images are on the big spinning disk.