[Article Proposal] gnome-info-collect introduction and CFA

Article Summary:
A new data-collection tool gnome-info-collect is ready to be used. We’re doing a publicity campaign to reach as many GNOME users as possible, and as GNOME is the default and most used Fedora desktop environment, we would like to reach Fedora users as well.

Article Description:
gnome-info-collect is a new tool which collects anonymous data about GNOME systems. The goal of this tool is to help improve GNOME, by providing data that can inform design decisions, influence where resources are invested, and generally help GNOME understand its users better.

The article will introduce the tool, provide instructions on how to install and use it and simply present how the collection works. It will have a CFA at the end of the article.

I plan to write the article myself.

1 Like

Sounds great. +1 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@theevilskeleton, @rlengland, @jakfrost – do you have an opinion about whether or not this would be good content for Fedora Magazine? The author has stated in the chat room that he would like it to go out as soon as possible.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Since it is voluntarily installed software I don’t see a problem with it as long as it is anonymous.
I’d give it a +1

It would be good, in my mind, to hear from @jakfrost :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m +1 for this. We are sorely lacking in some metrics and this is about the only way to help with getting the info.

1 Like

@vstanek I’ve opened Pagure issue #137 to track this article.

You can get started in the Fedora WordPress Dasboard by selecting + New at the top of the page.

When you have the article ready for review, please let us know by leaving a link to the WordPress preview in a comment on issue #137. That will alert the editors and we will review and edit as necessary.

Comments on #137 are also the best way to contact us if you have questions of any kind.

1 Like

A bit late to this, but yes. We should try to help upstreams improve their projects.

2 Likes

How to get access to the data? How to audit its structure, and the method of collection (if IPs are tracked, if additional logs processing taking place, etc.)?

1 Like