Amahi 11 installation help

I very new to this.

I have been trying to convert an old PC into a server using Amahi 11, but I am facing problems. Whenever the PC reboots after installation, it boots back into the Amahi installation process, starting from the beginning.

Please help me fixing this issue

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @schwartzsabel. Please take a look at the introductory posts in the #start-here if you’ve not had a chance yet. They explain how to use the forum effectively.

Could you give us more information please?

• what is amahi? A link would be nice
  • what is the installation procedure? Is this some software installed on top of a Fedora OS install?

If you’re using Fedora 27 as the tag indicates, you really should not. Fedora 32 is the current release. Fedora releases before 30 are no longer supported and do not receive updates.

1 Like

Hi, FranciscoD
Thanks for responding.
Amahi is a media, home and app server software (https://www.amahi.org/). I am using it because it seems to be the most new user-friendly.
I am following this procedure: https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_11_Install
I am using a USB bootable drive, made with Rufus.
When the installation completes, I get this screen after reboot:
44bca3c8f733cc557ac0ad05d7a7d0ea74fa7d7c.png

The hard disk, which is the installation destination, is at the top of the boot sequence.
I am at a loss of what to do.

Hi @schwartzsabel,
since Amahi is a derivative based on a no-longer-supported version of Fedora, I doubt we can be of much help here. You will likely have to get in touch with the Amahi people (see their forums, community page or troubleshooting page). One thing that you could check is what happens if you remove the USB stick and boot. Maybe your server is simply configured to try and boot from USB first, harddrive second.

Caveat, the following is my personal opinion: I strongly suggest you not use this product. They are basing it on Fedora 27, a quite old and - as @FranciscoD mentioned - unsupported version of Fedora. That means that unless the Amahi devs manually backported all the security fixes that happened since into their version, the operating system they base on is insecure. I doubt that they have, it would be a tremendous amount of work for no reason, and they used to follow the Fedora release cycle for Amahi 7-11.

3 Likes

Thank you Icts.

I have raised this query here, so I’ll see what they say.
Which server OS would you recommend for a newbie like me?

What are you looking to use it for? If you’re looking for one for daily use for example, the Fedora workstation works really well.

You can use an update ISO image from here:

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/live-respins/

1 Like

I am looking for a an easy to use NAS on our WiFi network. Preferably with a simple interface for my parents to use

1 Like

Check out openmediavault.

1 Like

You could also look into Freenas, based on FreeBSD.

Download: Download TrueNAS CORE - The Open Source & Completely Free NAS OS.

Fedora is quite fast-moving. If you want a painless and stable solution, Fedora may not be the best OS for a NAS, unless you want to invest time and effort, and you are ready for a steep learning curve, which includes reading a lot of documentation and tinkering.

1 Like

Despite all our concerns with Amahi 11, did you remove the USB drive that contains the installer before rebooting?

1 Like