Yubikey user authentication on Fedora 31

I would like to login and sudo using a Yubikey. Unfortunately documentation I have found online is for previous versions and does not really work. How do I modify system-auth to include this method?

2 Likes

I don’t have an immediate answer for you, but it might help to know what documentation you followed and where/how the failure happened.

Sure thing.

the wiki article is here.

I also looked at old fedora documentation here.

There was no specific failure, the yubikey works for the browser (to login a website for example). However, I do not see a way to add the yubikey as an option at user login.

Thanks! I’ve opened a request to add this to the Quick Docs, so if someone contributes an answer here, please also make that contribution.

I’m interested in the answer, too, and I might dig into it as I have time, but that’s not likely to happen soon. :slight_smile:

@autonomouscolar, @bcotton I think this is quite ussefull, in fedora magazine there are wonderfull post about it, and I think is quite up-dated 2017, 2018:

Here are the reference:

The first one show how to enable login in GDM via Yubikey, and show reference to the second one.

Authentication with PAM

reference to your page →

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_Yubikeys_with_Fedora#Using_a_Yubikey_to_authenticate_to_a_machine_running_Fedora

sudo dnf install pam_yubico

and add it to pam… doesn’t work

I also think this is a process that don’t change frequently…

Reference too → https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/bqq9yn/yubikey_as_login_card/

Regards., HTH

1 Like

Initially mine wasn’t working either for desktop login. I had to add the yubikey to the sddm file as well the one mentioned in the fedora wiki. (maybe since I’m not using gnome but just awesome wm with sddm to log me in)
That was located in /etc/pam.d/sddm. You might find the appropriate file for your system and see if it works by adding “auth sufficient pam_yubico.so id=1 authfile=/etc/yubikeys”