Xen virtualization

Question for anyone who is familiar with xen hypervisor, I wanted to start playing around with installing xen, however I am somewhat intimidated by the project because I lack a proper understanding of how to use it. I can’t seem to find any good documentation online, I am aware of https://wiki.xenproject.org, however most of the docs on there haven’t been updated in about a decade. I assume xen hasn’t actually changed very much since then(from a UX perspective), however I may be wrong, is this documentation here still applicable today? Is there better/more up-to-date documentation somewhere else?

I believe nothing much has changed about Xen in the last decade, so its documentation should be mostly up to date.

Although keep in mind that KVM+libvirt is a better option for multiple reasons if you plan to actually use virtualization.

3 Likes

Added xen

Added virtualization

Thanks. I have been using KVM for some time now, however I believe Xen is a better option for me because it’s a type 1 hypervisor and more secure than KVM while making better use of system resources. I can’t even run a gui in KVM without almost burning my hands on my keyboard while it’s also very slow. Why do you say KVM is the better option?

Provided that you can utilize Virtio drivers, the benefit of using Xen over KVM might not be even noticeable, and in some cases KVM outperforms Xen:
Performance Evaluation of Xen, KVM, and Proxmox Hypervisors

In addition, you are likely to face a significant difference in the level of community and developer support, system integration, maintenance costs, skill requirements, etc.

I don’t know if I was using virtio drivers previously, I would assume Kicksecure 17 would’ve had them installed by default, although perhaps I’m misunderstanding and I just did something wrong(I wasn’t aware of this until you mentioned it). So far in my experience using KVM and Xen(Qubes), I believe Xen(with a Fedora 40 dom0, rather than using Qubes) will suit my use case better, perhaps I’m wrong though. This is moreso me preparing to use this system as a testing ground, rather than as a primary system. Luckily I have the spare drive, so if I’m wrong and it doesn’t suit me then it’ll be a good learning experience for me I suppose.

Note that disk and network do not use Virtio by default, it must be explicitly pre-configured when deploying a VM or re-configured later, so relying on the defaults may not provide the best possible performance and experience.

Well I couldn’t figure out how to get virtio gpu drivers working, I’m sure I’ll catch on eventually. Turns out you were correct about Xen not having the best support compared to KVM. I couldn’t even boot into Xen hypervisor on a fresh install, grub kept complaining about a missing multiboot2 module. I couldn’t figure out what to do to fix it, or what even caused the issue, could be a grub thing could be a Xen thing, don’t know. But for now I’ve given up trying to use Xen, I’ll probably try again eventually.