What is the best way to get LTS kernel on Fedora

I have had very positive experiences regarding the stability of the software and packages on Fedora. It’s rock-solid. The last 10-15 kernel updates, though… I feel like every third one breaks something. I have issues like freezing on boot or shut down, lagging mouse, etc. When I boot to an older kernel, everything is fine again. It’s good that Fedora keeps previous kernels; it’s also configurable, and I can keep more than 3. One option is to stay on an old kernel, but that means it will not receive security updates. So, what’s the most reliable way to get an LTS kernel on Fedora? COPR, compiling, or something else. Since the recent events, I’m kind of cautious about installing from third parties. OpenSUSE, for example, recently made an LTS kernel available for their rolling release distributions, but it’s maintained by team members/OpenSUSE employees.

2 Likes

Fedora doesn’t have any ifra to handle an LTS release period. So you would have to prevent/roll back kernel updates on your system manually.

You could use kwizart/kernel-longterm-6.6 Copr for example.
Same user also builds/provides older LTS kernels like 6.1, …

3 Likes

Fedora default is to preserve the rescue kernel and 2 older kernels. You can update the rescue kernel when you reach a more recent kernel that works well.

that COPR seems really useful!

I am not sure if I get it though. Does it build the latest LTS kernel on the current Fedora base? The version numbers are the same as Fedoras, are these fake?

@kwizart thanks a lot for your work!

LTS kernels are pretty crucial for stability

1 Like

It would be the (LT) kernel packages for each version of Fedora being released at the time, so no not fake.

Could you explain what that means? I only know

• LTS Kernels supported on stable distros
  • stable, versioned and controlled, but not LTS kernels on Fedora etc.

LTS = Long Term Support

Fedora only supports the last 3 versions which means to total lifespan is 18 months. Ubuntu does LTS releases because they also develop their distro to be used in production, however; Fedora is an upstream development distro. If you want longer support or something for production, then you would want to look at CentOS Stream or even RedHat. Each major release of CentOS and RHEL are based on multiple Fedora releases and support up to 10 years. You can find out more about that here:

2 Likes

In this case, the community member is providing versioned kernel packages that you can use to replace the current (release level) kernel. LT = Long Term, I guess. I suppose to support them to earlier Fedora releases that are now EOL would make no sense, and would add work. When was 6.6 introduced in Fedora?

This is not actually true. We only support the last 2 versions. One F40 is released, it starts a 4 week counter for F38 to EOL. In practice this means the total lifespan from release is ~13 months.

1 Like

see

and compare with

1 Like

Has anyone tried using the CentOS Stream kernel? I haven’t, but there are reasonable odds that it just works. That does also get frequent updates, but should follow the basic RHEL kernel stability policies.

2 Likes

should be no problem to try on Atomic! The question would be, how to add a repo for just the kernel, to keep the system clean

Let’s see if this works :classic_smiley:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mattdm/cs9_kernel_for_fedora_linux/builds/

3 Likes

Update: it did not. I’m sure it could be made to, though!

Thanks for rising that point.

The kernel I’m maintaining doesn’t deal with “kABI” (1), so I’m not updating theses numbers (yet).
But as I apply upstream kernel.org patches, at the end you really have 6.6.25 kernel.

(1) What is Kernel Application Binary Interface (kABI)? - Red Hat Customer Portal

1 Like