USB Network Adapter Not Working F37

Hello, I have a Alfa AWUS036ACM USB network adapter. This worked fine on Fedora 34, 35, and 36. However, after upgrading to Fedora 37 it does not work whatsoever. In fact, it doesn’t even seem to exist according to F37. I’ve run lspci and nmcli and cannot see the adapter anywhere - I have restarted, tried different ports, but to no avail. The hardware works fine - if I boot into Windows the adapter works perfectly and it worked just a few days ago on earlier versions of Fedora.

Any suggestions?

Likely a driver issue. We need info from the hardware to assist.
Since it is a USB adapter it may show up with lsusb

A quick searsh for Alfa AWUS036ACM linux driver gives a lot of results.

One alternative may be to boot to a live media for F36 and look at the logs and hardware to see what was being loaded for support there. It may also assist in identifying the actual chipset of the device which is used to select the proper driver.

Firmware for Mediatek based USB WiFi adapters may help.
The site’s owner has been maintaining the the 8821cu driver but is a fan of Mediatek USB adapters for linux:

Mediatek based adapters are best for most users due to the very strong support Mediatek provides regarding in-kernel driver support

iw_list reslts for ALFA_AWUS036ACM has:

$ lsusb
ID 0e8d:7612 MediaTek Inc. MT7612U 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wireless Adapter

Issue 142 has long discussion of issues with the 6.1RC kernel.

I followed the instructions listed here but upon reboot nothing seems to change. Is there some additional step missing? I downloaded the appropriate bin and patch bin and placed in the directory they specified, but it seems to have absolutely no effect upon restart.

How do I specify to load these specific files for the driver? Do I need to execute the binary files in some way?

It would be good to post a more detailed list of the steps you took with the current file names and permissions. Here (Fedora 37), the drivers were already present from the linux-firmware package. I don’t have the USB network adapter and the ones you downloaded may have more recent updates.:

% ls -lZ /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7662*
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root system_u:object_r:lib_t:s0 46592 Dec 20 00:03 /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7662u.bin.xz
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root system_u:object_r:lib_t:s0 11744 Dec 20 00:03 /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7662u_rom_patch.bin.xz

First, is the adapter detected? Does lsusb list the device? Drivers won’t be loaded if the device isn’t found.

Look in dmesg and journalctl for error/informative messages.