Thunar's "Open Terminal Here" does not work (sway spin)

Salut alltogether,

I’m rather new here. I hope this I’m in the right place for the following feedback:

A fresh install of the Fedora 38 sway spin, today, after a sudo dnf upgrade has the following problem:

Opening thunar (filebrowser) I can’t use thunar’s function to right-click and “Open Terminal Here”

I get

Failed to launch preferred application for category “TerminalEmulator”.

Could not find fallback TerminalEmultator application.

I think fedora sway spin users would appreciate if thunar recognizes and uses the default terminal of sway out of the box.

In thunar I tried to modify the “Open Therminal Here” action via
Thunar -> Edit -> Configure custom actions modifying the exo-open thing there, but not to my satisfaction.

Apart from that: Thanks for the great OS experience so far! Installation is super well-made. I see sane defaults in so many places and a very nice user experience overall.

Thunar defaults to using exo-open (part of Xfce) for that “Open Terminal Here” action. exo-open reads the name of various app categories from ~/.config/xfce4/helpers.rc, e.g.:

TerminalEmulator=xfce4-terminal

Note the values are the names of desktop files, not the names or full command lines for programs.

Sway spin should probably set this to whatever the default terminal is.

It might be overlooked by Sway SIG if nobody used this Thunar feature. Not sure if anyone on Sway SIG watches this forum (there’s no team tag), so might be faster to look for them on Matrix or whichever issue tracker.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

Note the values are the names of desktop files, not the names or full command lines for programs.

Now I see why it did not work.
The problem with sway (or with my sway usage) is, that I don’t use desktop files for anything. I think sway does not really make use of desktop files very much (if at all). At least it does not display them on the dekstop :wink:

I’ll see what I can do for my setupt here.

If this would be fixed for sway as a whole on fedora, that would be awesome.

Thank you so far :slight_smile:

Even if you don’t use a GUI app launcher, many tools that open files or handle file associations (e.g. exo-open, xdg-open, gio, anything mime related) still use desktop files. Many of your apps use these tools directly or indirectly (e.g. opening a download in a browser).

Any GUI app packaged in Fedora should include desktop files. So there is nothing special you need to do: just set the name of the desktop file of your terminal (foot?) in helpers.rc.

It will be fixed, if you report it or contribute the fix to Sway SIG.

1 Like

Thanks for your help!

Just added TerminalEmulator=foot to .config/xfce4/helpers.rc and it works.
I remember googling this problem several times but I never found help.

It will be fixed, if you report it or contribute the fix to Sway SIG.

Will do.
Is the preferred way to do this to just write an email to sway@lists.fedoraproject.org?

That’s what I get from SIGs/Sway - Fedora Project Wiki (sorry the dumb question, I am very very new to Fedora. I’m in my first or second week :sweat_smile:)

I don’t know. The list seems to have fallen off in activity, but you can mail anyway.

Based on past messages, they have meetings on Matrix. If you’re not familiar with Matrix, just go to chat.fedoraproject.org and login with your Fedora account (same one you use to login to this forum). Then search/join the room #sway:fedoraproject.org

1 Like