Talk: GNOME suspends after 15 minutes of user inactivity, even on AC power

Just to clarify, are people having ssh session close while actively using them?

My experience (using an older iMac so may not have the same power management as newer hardware) is that the workstation does not suspend while the SSH session is being used. If I’m dealing with other demands on my time and don’t do anything in the ssh session for some time (I assume 15 minutes), the workstation goes to sleep. I use wake-on-lan and then start a new ssh session.

Yes, all SSH sessions are closed. I wrote about it few post before.

Still not clear. For me, ssh sessions close if I’m not actively using them, but I have not had a session close when actively entering commands, or editing in emacs. I haven’t timed it,
but 15 minutes without any keyboard input seems about right, and it takes very little effort to start a new session after wake-on-lan.

Let me explain the behaviour I experience.
One (o more) SSH sessions open.
Working on the sessions with keyboard (and network traffic) activity
15 minutes later, puff…computer shuts down.

Then, a new test:

• computer power up and running
  • SSH sessions open
  • While using the SSH sessions, I kept pushing some keys on the console keyboard (at the login screen)
  • no shutdown after 15 minutes
  • I stopped pushing keys on the console keyboard
  • 15 minutes and the computer shuts down

Clearly the power settings (GDM or otherwise) are ignoring any network traffic.

Agreed.

What percentage of users of Fedora are ‘Power Users’?
I suspect that there are a significant percentage of users that fit that category and thus directly are impacted by the change.

I am not upset that the change was made since it seems it was a result of good intentions and likely has an overall energy saving impact. I am frustrated that it was done with little widespread advance notification and it seems many were impacted.

Maybe plans could be made for something like a fedora magazine article or other quite public notification to inform users of upcoming changes that might impact usage as this change has done.

2 Likes

I think we need to distinguish between outgoing ssh sessions and incoming ones. As long as you’re active at the local keyboard, that should be no problem. It’s the other way that is a concern. (See Can Fedora Workstation be configured so SSH logins inhibit suspend?)

It’s really hard to measure — especially since power users are the most likely to be active in messaging and even in answering surveys. I agree that it’s a significant and important part of our userbase and community, no matter the numbers.

That said, I don’t think this particular issue is so clear-cut. I consider myself a power-user, and have one workstation I’m glad to have power off,[1] and another one which I’m running Home Assistant on, and definitely don’t want to — but, also, I really should move all that to a more low-powered device and I let that one sleep to.

Absolutely — that’s exactly the sort of thing that we try to do as part of the Changes process.

1. and irritated that Steam blocks that, actually ↩︎

1 Like

Let me explain the behaviour I experience.

• One (o more) SSH sessions open from a remote computer into the computer running FC38
  • Working on the SSH sessions with remote keyboard (and network traffic) activity. Why is this relevant? Because KBD activity generates input to the pseudo tty devices in the FC38 box.
  • 15 minutes later, puff…FC38 computer shuts down.

Then, a new test:

• FC38 computer power up and running
  • SSH sessions open from remote computer into the FC38 computer
  • While working in the SSH sessions (from the remote computer), I kept pushing some keys on the FC38 console keyboard (at the login screen)
  • no shutdown after 15 minutes
  • I stopped pushing keys on the FC38 console keyboard
  • 15 minutes and the FC38 computer shuts down

Clearly the power settings (GDM or otherwise) are ignoring any network traffic.

I was startled by this new behavior in F38. And this was on systems upgraded with DNF, not fresh installs. Not cool. But so much for the past.

Several of my machines that run fedora-workstation offer services.

I know how to turn off suspend-after-inactivity per user plus GDM. I would l like a global setting since this is a global policy issue.

I understand that the fedora-server has the suspend-after-15 turned off. Is that a global setting? Is that something that we could be told about?

If not, I request a global setting. One that applies for all Desktop Environments, not just GNOME.

Networks are chatty, so you if you don’t ignore network traffic you won’t suspend.

Expect the unexpected when upgrading. Linux, Windows, and macOS all have the problem of communicating changes to users when new versions are released. There are usually lots of changes, too many for users to keep up, and many users wouldn’t know which changes affect them.

I approach upgrades cautiously by installing the update on an external drive and looking for issues before upgrading the “mission critical” systems.

1 Like

I often use ssh from a laptop into my F38 desktop (and old iMac) located in an outbuilding. It usually needs wake-on-lan before I can connect with ssh. Then I can use ssh for much longer than 15 minutes. The laptop suspends if I stop working, and when I get back the ssh session has often closed. My server never suspends, but idle ssh sessions also close after a period of inactivity. There are configuration options (man sshd_conf) that control what happens a client is non-responsive. I use the defaults. Something has changed, as today I have been away from the desktop for hours and just connected from the laptop without needing wake-on-lan.

I am not sure which you are referring to as the ssh client. In normal terms your laptop would be the ssh client and the workstation (server) would be the sshd server. When the client suspends it would always disconnect the ssh session from the server. If the server suspends it also would disconnect the client.

However, you mention wake-on-lan and I suspect you are meaning that the laptop is waking the server up, which seems to imply the server has suspended.

The laptop suspends when idle – seems to be related to this change we are referring to .
The workstation (server) needing to wake up with wake-on-lan also seems related to this change.

hello can you help me here ?

@anon5065024 That’s is my situation. I implemented all the recommended changes, and noting worked for me. AT the end I had to disable GDM and enable KDM.

Do we have straightforward instructions on how to permanently disable this misfeature?

This worked for me:

sudo -u gdm dbus-run-session gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-timeout 0

I originally found it after digging through this discussion and seeing an example with a non-0 timeout. It really should be a single button somewhere in the UI (and/or settable via a one line config file that can be injected somewhere into /etc), since I envision that I (and many others) will need to do it for every future new install of Fedora.

Not only instal, but also updates. After every single “dnf -y update”, those settings are overwritten and the system returns back to the previous behaviour. Currently, for the sake of surviving updates, the gdm command should be executed at every single system reboot.

This soluton is ment for users who use the GDM as login manager.

And in first case for users who not use SSH to the system.

All other users who have a different setup please create a own topic with your own specifications/situation so that we can give you assistance.

This is overwriting the below (of course you also have to check/set automatic suspend off in the settings.)

while doing this:

sudo -u gdm dbus-run-session gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-timeout 0

I tested on F37 where gives an error but still works (missing option in gnome shell).
Fedora 38 works here my listings:

sudo -u gdm dbus-run-session gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power

org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power ambient-enabled true
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-brightness 30
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-dim true
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power power-button-action 'suspend'
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power power-saver-profile-on-low-battery true
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-timeout 900
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'suspend'
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-timeout 900
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-type 'suspend'

Hi L.S>,

I am one of the early posters on this thread. I use GDM to login locally but also use SSH for remote access. Should I create a new thread?

I’d like the Fedora Devs to admit that they made a serious error in not properly communicating this change to the users and to also provide an immediate patch to remove all power management suspend/kill action from the system by user choice.

There have been claims this was done to satisfy some ‘efficiency’ standard and that may or not be completely accurate, but in any case there should be a way for ME to decide HOW MUCH POWER my system uses and NOT have that forced upon me.

Fedora software is provided at no cost to all users and the efforts of the Fedora team are appreciated. However, they make mistakes and this is a big one that needs formal correction quickly.

If you want to support the project and find as soon as possible a solution who fits for your workflow, then yes.
Just stand out of the topic here, while convince others that the developers have to make everything as you want to have it.

We are using here a sponsored workspace, Fedora is the upstream Open Source Project of RH who serves among other things to test new technologies, this seams to be one.

Participate as proposed or stand out. Same to @afberendsen. What you are doing is going in direction of seelioning arguing without any action to keep others busy responding you.