Switch to zstd from xz

From this situation this is the right time to switch

As already github suspension of xz repo.
This is evident that we need to fork the project and move on or i think we can switch to zstd.

1 Like

zstd is not a drop-in replacement for xz, so this is something that will be up to the maintainers of each upstream package.

5 Likes

A fork isn’t immediately necessary as the original maintainer has returned to help clean things up, and there is no evidence that they are involved in any malicious activity. A transfer of repository maintainership if necessary can happen in the standard way.

I, too, would like to see zstd gain wider adoption (example: Use zst compression instead of xz (#1936) · Issues · GNOME / Files · GitLab) but you cannot just decree that XZ shouldn’t be used anymore.

3 Likes

Zstd is superior than xz and there is no point to use xz after this happend

This makes me think you did not understand my first comment.

Fedora is a distribution of many separate open source projects, and they all make their own decisions about what libraries to use, so this is not something that Fedora could decree.

2 Likes

Yes i know.

It’s not clear then what it is you think the Fedora project should do here.

2 Likes

What about brotli? It can be used to compress tarballs.

Whether it’s superior or not is besides the point, it’s widely used in the ecosystem so you can’t just immediately get rid of it. It’s up to each individual package to figure out if they can make such a transition and what the timelines should look like.

3 Likes

From this situation this is the right time to switch

Is it really necessary? Everyone’s eyes are on this code.

2 Likes

It’s being discussed to move to zstd where possible. I’ve already switched. It’s kind of sad, but as I mentioned in my water cooler post, I don’t know of a compelling reason to keep using xz.

2 Likes

I found this: brotli vs zstandard

1 Like

Kind of agree here, Everyone is looking at it and will continue to have their eyes on it with a ripple effect on other projects as well.

Okay so zstd is way better

1 Like

I forgot to mention Fedora has previously switched from xz to zstd in RPM compression for performance reasons - so the project has some experience in this type of migration.

F31: Switch RPMs to zstd compression

1 Like

You won’t find much disagreement that zstd is a better algorithm, in most cases. This is pretty well understood by this point.

Again though, it’s kind of beside the point. Things that currently use XZ, cannot necessarily just switch out of the blue. Some can, and probably should, but it has to be worked out on a case by case basis.

Sure. As mentioned earlier, migration is being discussed “where possible”. This isn’t an all or nothing thing. However, at some point, as the old saying goes, you need to fish or cut bait. It’s a Nebraska issue.

2 Likes