SELinux reconfig?

I have a bit of a frankenstein system, win 7, 10, and fedora 31, with limited drive space, so I was messing around, and wanted to add a couple partitions for /var and /home to free up space on / … thought I was taking proper precautions but on reboot, no network, screwups abound… SELinux contexts I’m thinking… can I just get it to reconfigure?

1 Like

Welcome to the community @rhiyddun! Please take a minute to go through the introductory post in the #start-here if you’ve not yet had the chance to do so. It provides information on how the forum here can be used effectively.

To answer your question, yes you can relabel your system on reboot:

sudo fixfiles -B onboot

More information in the man page:

man fixfiles

I was checking back to update, I managed to undo what I had done, touch /.autorelabel and reboot a time or two, and it’s back to normal more or less, It’s been a long while since I went poking around in the basement of an install. Apparently SELinux keeps its state files in /var, so mounting another /var is probably really ill advised. I was just trying to free up some space in root / by moving mainly /var/www and /home to this other space I freed up. Most of my past experience with UNIX/Linux guts was on SysV derived stuff… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yet another update… doing /.autolabel or basic fixfiles is still leaving little buglets, odd, arcane errors from things I’ve never heard of, like aurorae, no idea what that is… anyway. My current attempt at a fix that actually fixes, is essentially

for fn in $( yum list | awk ‘{print $1}’ ) ; do
yum download ${fn}
fixfiles -R ${fn}.rpm restore
done

which has been running for a while now, but I’m hopeful that might get things going properly again.