Resolution issues after Nvidia drivers installed

Managed to get the Nvidia drivers signed, and at least somewhat functioning today. However, while nouveau drivers were running the default resolution straight out of the box, the Nvidia drivers default to the next resolution tier down. The native resolution option appears under gnome display settings, but the apply button is faded out with the msg “Changes Cannot be Applied … This could be due to hardware limitations”.

Other than the resolution issue, the Nvidia drivers offer smother / higher performance experience over nouveau, so would rather stick with Nvidia.

The native resolution option doesn’t appear at all under that monitor when running xrandr.

Samsung G9, 5120x1440 is native resolution, being downscaled to 3840x1080 by Nvidia drivers for Geforce 1070.

Would simply adding the resolution to xrandr likely resolve the issue?

Additionally, it could be that I’ve made a mess of the Nvidia install as I had key signing issues for Secure Boot. When running nvidia-settings from the shell it returns some errors:
g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed
gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed
g_signal_handlers_block_matched: assertion ‘G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)’ failed
gtk_toggle_button_get_active: assertion ‘GTK_IS_TOGGLE_BUTTON (toggle_button)’ failed

I’m unsure what the nvidia-settings usually shows (I’m new to Linux), so I’m not sure if there’s anything missing in the Nvidia dialogue box.

I don’t think the 1070 is capable of the 5120x1440 resolution with the nvidia drivers even if the display is. It is after all several years old. Sometimes the refresh rate also limits the resolution that can be supported.

Nouveau may be able to display the higher resolution, but has no hardware acceleration capabilities so all graphics are rendered by the CPU and not the GPU – which quickly overloads the capabilities of the CPU if performing graphics intensive tasks and brings the performance to a standstill.

On my system with a GTX 1050 the card only has 2GB RAM so it is also limited in output by the amount of VRAM installed on the card. The 1050 has HDMI, DVI-D, & DP (1 each).

My other system with an RTX 3050 I see 8GB RAM and it easily supports 2 displays, one is 4k (3840x2160) and one is HD (1920x1080). That card has 4 DP ports and one HDMI port.

The card has 8GB VRAM (and my system has 64GB RAM) and has no troubles outputting 5120x1440 on that screen while also outputting 1080p on 2 other screens and 1080i on a 4th in Windows. Admittedly, it struggles in most modern games at that resolution though.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 4000 series replacement card a few days ago, so it might be worth me just waiting for that to turn up and troubleshooting that instead if there’s any issues…

1 Like

The same driver should work for the newer GPU so that should only be a matter of swapping the cards and booting.

I was going to ask, but thought it might be too petty to waste your time on. Thanks for the heads up, it’s a bit of a relief.

The new GPU hasn’t resolved the issue. It’s something to do with the Linux Nvidia drivers and the additional displays. If I disconnect one of the 1080p/i screens (any of them) I can get the full resolution back. Again, wasn’t an issue with nouveau drivers or in Windows.

Right now it’s not a major concern, as one of the displays is only for a special use case (that I don’t use frequently) that I also haven’t been able to resolve in Fedora yet either (it’s not a Fedora specific issue though, as I suspect the bug triggering this post isn’t either) - so I’ll need to keep Windows and replug that screen in when needed for the time being anyway.

I’ve taken the leap, and am reasonably happy. Will be running Fedora as the daily driver from now on I think.

How did you install the Nvidia drivers, I’m not sure if that was ever covered in this thread?

1 Like