Rawhide (40) missing openh264

It seems as if the current rawhide repo (for 40) is missing all the openh264 packages, see Index of /openh264/40/x86_64 (fedoraproject.org)

What is the best way to get this addressed?

With the current state, fully test-driving the KDE Plasma 6.0 (git master) desktop environment is a bit annoying - all H.264 video (on youtube, for instance) does not render for lack of codec support.

2 Likes

I do not know why it is not there jet. But the links below should give you the opportunity to install it on your own and give some more explanations.

OpenH264 - Fedora Project Wiki
and here a quick doc about it:
OpenH264 :: Fedora Docs
And an explanation why not in by default:
OpenH264 in Fedora Linux

There will never be openh264 packages there.

The only thing in that repo is the repodata. It provides the actual
download links from cisco. They have ability to distribute those
packages, while fedora cannot.

So, if you enable that repo it should correctly let you download the
packages mentioned in the repodata there.

1 Like

FWIW, for Fedora 39 all the important packages are present - see Index of /openh264/39/x86_64 (fedoraproject.org)

FWIW^2, I have the repo enabled on rawhide (40), but when there is nothing in the rawhide repo, there is nothing to do download …

FWIW^3, I am running multiple non-rawhide Fedora 39 installations just fine, with the H.264 codec :wink:

1 Like

And this also not works?

See link no: 3

1 Like

FWIW, for Fedora 39 all the important packages are present - see Index of /openh264/39/x86_64 (fedoraproject.org)

Yeah, although they aren’t really. :slight_smile: ie, if you download one of those
you don’t download from codecs.fedoraproject.org in the end, you are
redirected.

FWIW^2, I have the repo enabled on rawhide (40), but when there is nothing in the rawhide repo, there is nothing to do download …

FWIW^3, I am running multiple non-rawhide Fedora 39 installations just fine, with the H.264 codec :wink:

You’re right. Something broke down and the f40 one didn’t get published
right.

I’ve opened Issue #11823: please send openh264-2.3.1-4.fc40 to cisco - releng - Pagure.io to ask releng to make
sure and send that build to cisco.

4 Likes