Questions about flatpak

Hi everyone. I’m new on the world of Linux and I’m studying about different things and one of the is about flatpak.I know that Fedora is pushing the implementation of flatpak and that Fedora has it own repository of flatpak packages. My question is why it is implemented different than flathub repository?. I mean, for example, when I install Gimp from flathub it install

• org.gnome.Platform
  • org.gnome.Platform.Locale
  • org.gimp.GIMP.Manual
  • org.gimp.GIMP

But if you install it from the fedora flatpak repository it only install the

• org.fedoraproject.Platform (That then all the other applications use)
  • org.gimp.GIMP.

And I don’t understand what is the advantage of do this. Maybe is about don’t have libraries duplicated?

Other question is Why the fedora project has their own flatpak repository and not use flathub from default? It has relation whit the idea of freedom? I mean, to not ship proprietary software on Fedora? And is there any difference that makes it better to use applications from the fedora repository and not from flathub?

And my last question. When you install software from gnome-software it such time recommend install from Fedora(Flatpak) others time it recommend install from Flathub and others time it recommend install from Fedora(rmp). What is the criteria that it has to recommend this options?

1 Like

I guess the answer is simple, a project can’t support everything. A selection for the fedora infrastructure where agrees with the ideology of the project.

To keep it slim. And also not to overwrite existent configurations. If you install it from Workstation gnome is the DE and Locale (language) and platform should be already available. I think this way you not depend on the DE (Desktop environment) as Fedora has several Spins.

Primary the difference between RPM and Flatpak is that with RPM’s you install packages. With this packages are needed dependencies. They change within changes of the Kernel. They regularly have to be updated. This can get quite messy when not good arranged.

This is where the advantages of Flatpaks are visible. They are not so slim as Packages are, but they come with everything needed as a flatpak. This way you can run them on several configurations without depending on different dependencies.

A good example where you will better use it is, when you use Silverblue for example. Silvberblue is an immutable Operating system where you also changes the whole image when it has to be updated.

1 Like

thanks for your help. It is now more clear