`proj` pulled in as dependency when installing codecs, increasing download/install side

I did a default install and found that I got a package “proj” installed that’s not a dependency to anything. When I dnf removed it with all its weird dependencies I freed 900MB! What is this bloat for and where does it come from?!

dnf info proj

1 Like

A default install of what? proj does not appear to be installed by default on Workstation.

Did you install something like qgis?

Or Blender, Darktable . . .

1 Like

No.

No.

And like I said, when I uninstalled it it was not a dependency for anything.

Is thar a way to query DNF for when and during which command something was installed? I know DNF history is there but that will collapse all the details. And I don’t see that proj is part of any group?

Use dnf history proj (i think) will list the transaction that installed proj.
Then use `dnf history info NNN’ to see the transaction details.

5 Likes

Thanks, Barry. This worked. And it turns out this proj bloat gets installed thanks to a codec/plugin install command from the Fedora Documentation page from here.

Specifically, from this line: sudo dnf install gstreamer1-plugins-{bad-\*,good-\*,base} gstreamer1-plugin-openh264 gstreamer1-plugin-libav --exclude=gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-devel

I think Fedora Documentation needs to be updated ASAP because I got bloated by 1GB and I do not even know why. I removed the proj package and everything works fine. It’s not a dependency so why is it part of the plugins?

Oh, I knew proj looked familiar, but I couldn’t remember why.

https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/quick-docs/issue/678

It’s a hard dependency of gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-opencv via opencv-core and gdal-libs. The bulk of the size is the proj-data-* subpackages, which pull themselves in via weak dependencies (Supplements) .

1 Like

But gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-opencv is not a hard dependency to anything? Why is Fedora Docs advising to install this as part of gstreamer1-plugins-{bad-\*..}? Why is opencv, a computer vision and video segmenting library, required for video plugins to play stuff - and pulling in a major bloat?

I agree with you; see the link I posted.