Power-profiles-daemon has too agressive fan curve

I have hybrid laptop (AMD-Nvidia). When I select battery saving mode and I run for example htop, it’s causing fans to go into probably max fan speed because utilization and/or temperature of cpu has increased slightly. In balanced mode fun curve is also a lot more aggressive in comparison to when ppd is removed. In gaming sessions with ppd on balanced or high performance, fan is almost twice as loud as it is without ppd installed (and as it is on Windows).
Anyone knows what’s happening?

Laptop: HP OMEN 2020 Ryzen 7 4800h GTX 1660 ti

The behavior of these profiles, and most especially the performance one, are not determined by power-profiles-daemon itself, but rather your OEM and processor firmware. I suggest you dnf update to make sure you’re on the latest kernel and linux-firmware (reboot after updating these) as well as updating to the latest available firmware (sudo fwupdmgr refresh; sudo fwupdmgr update). If those don’t solve your issue, I suggest you take a look in the HP hardware support forums.

For what it’s worth, I have a Ryzen 4800H in my MSI laptop and am not seeing this issue. Our OEM vendors likely made some different choices with their gaming machine profiles.

Everything up to date. Even if the behavior is not determined by ppd, it’s strange that removing it solves the issue and fan curve goes back to normal. But I want to keep it for better battery life.

I would say that ‘removing it solves the issue’ is a clear indication that ppd is the cause. While I do not use ppd it is possible there is some way to tweak the fan power curve within ppd to change its fan behavior.

If I recall from looking at this recently, I believe it’s just hooking into the ACPI profiles available, so disabling it should functionally be the same as leaving it in “Balanced” mode.

I would think that the load from gaming and environment factors (air flow) would have a bigger impact on the fans than the profile itself. That’s definitely been my experience with my MSI.