Per App Theming

In short, I’m trying to theme most of my install Adwaita Dark, but prefer Evolution to be themed Adwaita “light,” the default Adwaita. I’ve found plenty of how-to’s from a decade ago, but nothing very recent; one suggested added GTK_THEME=Adwaita to the .desktop file, but I can confirm that does nothing.

Any ideas?

1. sudo nautilus
  2. go to Other locations – computer – usr/share/applications/org.gnome…Evolution.desktop open it and find line Exec=evolution %U change
    to
    Exec=env GTK_THEME=Adwaita:light evolution %U
  3. save it
  4. open evolution

that will change to light theme your application

Thanks for the suggestion, but that does nothing for me… Even after a restart.

EDIT

After sleeping on this, I decided to try again and found it works when env GTK_THEME=Adawaita:light is added to the exec line in the .desktop file at every instance; that is, the org.gnome.Evolution.desktop file has several exec lines and adding that string to everyone of them seems to do the trick.

An odd side-effect, however, is the body of the emails still briefly try to display in Adwaita Dark; strange.

Also, for this to persist any Evolution updates, I copied the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications and edited it there. Could the “flicker” issue I reference above be related to that?

1 Like