This Objective is part of the Theme “Fedora is for everyone” and the Focus Area Reaching the World. For general discussion of this focus area, please see the topic Fedora Strategy 2028: Focus area review (Reaching the World) - Fedora Discussion.
Objective: Fedora Linux is available pre-installed on more systems from more vendors.
Impact: Reduced barrier to entry lets more people try Fedora.
We know that installation is one of the biggest barriers to user adoption. No matter how nice we make the installer, the step of getting Fedora Linux running is a bar. It is full of problems like partitioning, dual-booting, secure boot, hardware support, and more. The very act seems intimidating to many people, so we lose many potential users who never even try. Those who do try often hit real problems, which can’t always be solved with documentation or even a better software approach.
So, we believe that having more systems with Fedora Linux preinstalled — from existing friends like Lenovo and Slimbook, and new ones as well! — will make a significant impact in our user base, and we expect that growth to translate into new contributors as well.
This extends beyond desktop and laptop hardware — small systems like the Raspberry Pi are notoriously painful (and since the Pi itself comes with its own Linux distro, we need an extra-compelling case to convince people to even try). We’d like new ARM and RISC-V systems to include Fedora IoT out of the box.
For this Objective and related Impact, validate that:
- If the Impact is achieved, it’s reasonable to expect an increase in active Fedora contributors.
- Success in the Objective logically results in the intended Impact.
- That link is reasonably sufficient — that is, it represents everything needed to have the Impact.
- While there might be other ways to have similar Impact, the chosen Objective is the right one for Fedora right now.
- The wording is precise and clear. The Objective is concrete, and the Impact is (at least a little bit) inspirational. Together, they fit into this Focus Area.
Bonus. If you can improve the longer explanatory paragraphs at the top of this post, that’s helpful too!
As outlined in the roadmap, this post will close in one month.