NTFS3 native Linux driver will work by default on fedora 36?

Hello! I wanted to propose this topic, since interoperability between systems is something important and being able to have a driver with better performance than ntfs-3g to handle disks in NTFS file system is very good news.

For now the balm has been exFAT with much better support expected for fedora 36, but I haven’t read anything about NTFS3.

NTFS3 support in udisks has been included, but there are some issues like this. On the other hand, in fedora 35 the driver has not been included in the versions distributed by kernel 5.15, so it still depends on NTFS-3G.

Is there a plan or roadmap in this regard? unless it is included experimentally to hope for a better implementation for fedora 37?

I tried with Fedora 36 and even if the module seems to be here

$ ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/ntfs3
ntfs3.ko.xz

-t ntfs3 mount option doesn’t work, it would be a nice upgrade over legacy ntfs-3g

2 Likes

Now I’m downloading the latest rawhide version to test, however, in the version of March 14, I happily realized that from the live USB I could mount the internal SSD of the laptop in NTFS format from the GUI and also connect pendrives with exFAT format. Everything worked out of the box.

Unfortunately some elements of the hardware were not working, like the integrated micro SD reader (ThinkPad T495) and I only hope that it is something typical of the development versions, since at least with fedora 35, all the hardware works perfectly without having to install or configure.

As was mentioned previously, the driver is included with Fedora 36, but isn’t loaded.
You can manually load it with $ sudo modproble ntfs3, after which it will be available as a -t option with mount.
Additionally, you can auto-load the driver on boot if you create config in /etc/modules-load.d/ (for example, creating ntfs3.conf with a single line ntfs3)

1 Like