No Grub2 menu after installing Fedora 32 on a SSD

Hello.

I recently bought a SATA 3 SSD drive to upgrade my old computer. I installed Fedora 32 on it, resized LVM partitions on existing HDD, etc. To my surprise, grub2 no longer shows the menu to choose the kernel to boot up with. There are three kernels in my system. I do a grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg but is useless.

This is very important to me just in case [No Internet connection after upgrading to Fedora 31 - #6 by davidva](http://this bug) came up again.

Did anybody face the same problem?

Regards.

I assume you are using UEFI.
The output file for the command you used is in the location for a system using BIOS.
Try using

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg 

It’s just not showing, I think the new hotness in Linux Desktop is to have something like in other operating systems where you see the vendor and OS logo after powering on your machine and the next thing you see is the login screen.

With the GRUB_TIMEOUT key set to 0 in the /etc/default/grub file, GRUB 2 does not display the list of bootable kernels when the system starts up. In order to display this list when booting, press and hold any alphanumeric key when the BIOS information is displayed; GRUB 2 will present you with the GRUB menu.

So, assuming that timeout=0 is the method used to hide the menu, you should be able to display the menu by hitting any alphanumeric key right after powering on the machine.

1 Like

This would regenerate the Grub config on EFI-based systems, however, it would not help to display the grub2 boot menu on startup.

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/hidden-grub-menu-in-fedora-30/680/2?u=blueshurricane4

3 Likes

Sorry, I forgot to mention it. It’s so old that it uses BIOS.

Uhm… Interesting, but this is the default /etc/default/grub created during the installation. I didn’t touch it, not even after the installation of the NVIDIA propietary driver.
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1 resume=/dev/mapper/vg_hogar_ssd-swap rd.lvm.lv=vg_hogar_ssd/root rd.lvm.lv=vg_hogar_ssd/swap rhgb quiet"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true

This is very weird. Before buying the sata 3 ssd, Fedora was installed on one hdd and grub2 has always displayed the menu. I’ve never had dual boot.

Yeah, your’re right. See the output of grub2-editenv list:
saved_entry=9ad1f0717ba54c4c941721529ce3c5b4-5.6.15-300.fc32.x86_64
menu_auto_hide=1
boot_success=1
kernelopts=root=/dev/mapper/vg_hogar_ssd-root ro rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1 resume=/dev/mapper/vg_hogar_ssd-swap rd.lvm.lv=vg_hogar_ssd/root rd.lvm.lv=vg_hogar_ssd/swap rhgb quiet
boot_indeterminate=0

1 Like

Thanks you all, guys!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.